2002 dodgeram 1500

Old 12-03-10, 09:13 AM
2002 dodgeram 1500

OK. Had my radiator replaced about 2 years ago and haven't had heat since. They told me I might need something flushed since I originally used stopleak to fix the radiator. Now 2 years later I am gettin anitfreeze in the floorboard of the truck. Someone told me it might be the heater core. Any suggestions? I would love to fix this myself but I am not sure where to start.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-10, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
You need a new core. Instructions may be available at places like Autozone, a Pro shop will prob charge about $700-800. The A/C needs to be disconnected and refrigerant recovered, then re-installed.

I'm basing this on my Dakota...4 yrs or so ago it was about $600 for the exact same thing.

Old 12-03-10, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As gunguy stated you most likely need a new heater core. Ok, so you changed the radiator, but the stop leak you used could be clogging the heater core. If the core is clogged you’ll get the same signs and symptoms as a leaking (failing) core. That is no heat and a puddle of coolant on the rug. You have nothing to loose. Before just jumping in there and changing out the core, try forward and reverse flushing it first. If afterwards it still leaks then change it out.

Old 12-03-10, 03:42 PM
If the core is clogged you’ll get the same signs and symptoms as a leaking (failing) core. That is no heat and a puddle of coolant on the rug.
??????????

A clogged core will not leak due to a clog ..... unless it bursts due to the restriction...And once the core leaks...its junk, and all the flushing on Gods Green Earth isnt going to help it.

If there is already coolant on the floor boards..the core is junk and must be replaced.

CONSIDER replacing the A/C evaporator while the heater box is out of the truck......There is no extra labor to replace it , since it comes out right next to the heater core....

Dashboard removal is required, and may be a bit labor intensive, and quite frustrating for a first timer.......THINK long and hard before you go tearing it up on your own. Labor Book time is about 6.5 to 7.0 hours.

Old 12-03-10, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
As Unc mentioned...and I should have...my evap started leaking 3 months later. $100 part would have cost me another $500 or so in labor if i had it replaced later.

If its all apart..replace everything.

Old 12-09-10, 06:17 PM
Blast of heat. . . then cold air. lowest setting = very little warmth. thermosat good, = temps in lines going in and out of core. AC is good. Someone had mentioned a possible replacement of a vacuum line behind the control panel??? I haven't read anything about this yet. I was still going to give the core a flush - but I would like to find out if there is chance this could be the prob. Oh - and yes.... My dash is cracked too..... in 4 places. Looks like a jigsaw puzzle. Pretty comical actually.