Camry gas cap

Old 12-03-10, 12:41 PM
Camry gas cap

My '09 Hybrid Camry shows error code P1423, which Toyota says means a problem with the gas cap or the gas filler neck. There is nothing visibly wrong with the cap, the gasket is not cracked or broken, and I have cleaned the rim on the filler neck where the gasket seats, but the "Check Engine" light stays on. Should I just replace the cap or could there be something else wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-10, 01:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This could be due to a few different things. Starting with the most obvious remove the gas cap and turn it back on till it clicks clicks a minimum of six times. Now clear the code using a scan tool. Next simply drive the car and post back if P1423 returns.

Old 12-03-10, 04:57 PM
p1423 is an error in air injection system flow......I highly doubt doing anything with a Gas cap will help you......

Not completely familiar with the newer Camrys, but you must find the Air injection pump, and Inspect all hoses and fittings leading in and out of it.....

If this is a warranty issue..(Which I cant see it not being) ...Go back the the dealership where you bought the vehicle, Grab the SVC manager by his Skraggly little neck and.........Well ...you get the picture......

You want to know why he lied to you, or....why the tech working on your Brand new vehicle was allowed to do so ,when he/she is not competent enough to be doing so???

Old 12-03-10, 05:38 PM
Statement made

p1423 is an error in air injection system flow......I highly doubt doing anything with a Gas cap will help you......

I hope the link below helps.

Powered by Google Docs

Old 12-03-10, 06:25 PM
well, you have 36 000 bumper to bumper; so, out of pure curiosity, go back to dealer, in polite tone of voice ask them to replace cap with a new one at no cost and reset the code.

if you are not a persuasive type of person, new cap is about 7 bucks, and any parts store will clear code for you.

i had many cap codes fixed with a new cap, and one would have never told there's something wrong with a cap.

if this did not help - then you can start worrying about killing dealership managers or tearing your car apart to fix it. but, like uncle said - it's under warranty, so what a hey... drop it off, take their loaner for a day, enjoy.

btw, it's not a disaster code. it's emissions code, people drive with those on for years.

09 hybrid, hah.. have 07. how's she doing?

Old 12-03-10, 08:13 PM
Old 12-04-10, 04:21 PM
Ladies and gentlemen,

For your reading pleasure I invite you all to visit the webpage below. We are not dealing with the standard run of the mill P1423 error here. The operative words here are “Green Hybrid”. Those words give a whole new meaning to an old code.

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f...e-p1423-18983/

Old 12-04-10, 04:36 PM
Well now......

Thanks Japan , for taking the theory of "STANDARDIZED DIAGNOSTICS" to a whole new level of Corporate Capitalism..................Nuff said on that topic....

My apologies to Diane....... And the Skraggly necked svc manager who almost got his Arse beaten......

Old 08-09-12, 04:21 PM
I have a 09 camry hybrid. i freaked out when the check engine light came on as i had bought the car a couple of weeks earlier. so I went to toyota and they told me to open the gas cap, close it again, drive for four days and the light will go away(takes four days for the system to reset itself). sure enough, the light was gone in three days ( without even reading the trouble codes). this has happened a couple of times after this, everytime the check light goes away a couple days or so after retightening the gas cap.

Old 08-10-12, 03:09 AM
Welcome to the forums! Good information, but it is a 2 year old post. No harm done. The problem with Toyota telling you to do this is that they didn't fix the problem, only allowed you to fix it yourself as you go down the road. Not good. I would change the filler cap to a new one and see if it continues to happen. It can also happen if you leave the gas cap too loose and allow air in, so either way, they didn't help you.

Old 08-10-12, 08:10 AM
why don't you go to any parts store and read error codes? OBD2 port is right in front of your right knee cap, underneath the dash.
also, you can simply pull ECM fuse out and reset ECM. beware that on the fuse box lid, writings are in mirror image. takes some time to figure which fuse is actually ECM one.
but yes, of course, replace cap.
what kind of mpg you getting out of your TCH? curious, as I have 07 model.
your best forum for TCh will be toyotanation Camry Hybrid one. meet you there.

Search this Thread