2008 Taurus 6 Disc Changer CD ERROR

Old 12-03-10, 06:25 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
2008 Taurus 6 Disc Changer CD ERROR

I disconnected the battery to clean battery terminals about 4 weeks ago and when battery was reconnected, I immediately started getting a "CD ERROR" message displayed on the radio along with a noise inside the unit as if the changer was searching for a CD. There is no CD in it. The message lasted about 10 to 15 seconds and stopped, but would start again when I shut off the car and removed the key to get out (it since has stopped displaying the message when I remove the key). As soon as I open the door to get back in the car again or use the remote door unlock (or first thing in the morning), the "CD ERROR" message is again displayed and I again hear the changer searching for 10 to 15 seconds. It seems as if any time a current draw is changed, such as when door is opened and interior lights come on or when key is inserted or removed from ignition switch, the message is displayed and the changer starts searching. The battery voltage checks at 12.61 volts without the engine running. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-10, 08:21 PM
Is the changer in the radio, or a seperate unit mounted elsewhere?????

The external changer will have a small Power button under the face plate. Turn it off, then back on.

In the radio...pop in your favorite disc...let it load, play for a few moments , then eject it.

The radio Memory is designed to return to the last known point of operation......disconnecting the battery , also removes the memory entry and starting point.

Old 12-04-10, 01:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it have an alarm built into the stereo? If it does you will have to enter an access code which would probably be in the stereo manual.

Old 12-04-10, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Is the changer in the radio, or a seperate unit mounted elsewhere?????

The external changer will have a small Power button under the face plate. Turn it off, then back on.

In the radio...pop in your favorite disc...let it load, play for a few moments , then eject it.

The radio Memory is designed to return to the last known point of operation......disconnecting the battery , also removes the memory entry and starting point.
The changer is the Ford factory 6 disc changer-MP3- with AM/FM radio built as one unit installed in the dash. The unit won't accpet a CD. When I press "Load" the display message says "Initializing" as if it will accept the disc, but then goes blank and won't accept a disc. I have a similar unit in my F-150 XLT, but with the single disc player that works beautifully. I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour to reset the unit, but that didn't work either. As soon as the battery was reconnected, the "CD ERROR" message displayed and the changer started searching (unit was turned off). I even tried pulling the fuse over night, but that didn't work either. The funny thing is, the error message and searching both happen regardless of whether the unit has been turned off. Remember, this all started when the battery was disconnected for perhaps 15 minutes. BTW, the radio presets were never lost. Any more ideas?

Old 12-04-10, 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by NEsportsfan View Post
Does it have an alarm built into the stereo? If it does you will have to enter an access code which would probably be in the stereo manual.
No alarms, this is a factory installed unit. No codes. The only manual is the Ford owner's manual and covers various installed factory optional radios and this isn't addressed. Any more ideas?

Old 02-17-11, 08:51 PM
I am having this exact same issue ever since I had to get a jump-start last week (Texas battery didn't like the -25 deg Wisconsin morning). Same car, a 2008 Taurus. CasualJoe, did you ever find out how to get the problem fixed?

Old 02-20-11, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by flychinook View Post
I am having this exact same issue ever since I had to get a jump-start last week (Texas battery didn't like the -25 deg Wisconsin morning). Same car, a 2008 Taurus. CasualJoe, did you ever find out how to get the problem fixed?
Nope, it still shows the error message as soon as I unlock the doors, open a door or open the trunk (even when turned off), but I am no longer getting the error when I remove the key and get out of the car. A week ago I finally changed the battery and had hopes that somehow this could solve the problem (was a long shot, but I could only hope), but nothing has changed. Dealer says they can change the unit. A lot of investigation by Googling Ford CD problems tells me Ford factory 6 disc changers are notoriously cheaply made and unreliable. Never never get one if you can help it. Problem is, when I picked this car off the lot they all had them. If you find a solution, let me know.