Solenoid 96 GMC Yukon

Old 12-07-10, 12:38 AM
Solenoid 96 GMC Yukon

I understood that the cool can really do a number on your battery. I tried to start my Yukon the other evening and thought I had low battery. Got a new battery, put it in and same thing. When I realized that it was either the starter or the solenoid. My manual showed me a test to check the starter, which it passed. Therefore, process of elimination, it's the solenoid. That is what I am thinking, yet I am dreading getting under my vehicle in this cold to check it before I purchase one. Could it be anything else?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-10, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless they have changed design since I worked on them, GM solenoids are part of the starter, so it all has to come out. Not a fun job, but at least it is "bench" fixable rather than upside down in the cold.

Old 12-07-10, 07:38 AM
what 'test' did you do?
what is the truck doing/ not doing?
what kind of sound does it make?

Old 12-07-10, 11:48 AM
Thanks Chandler.

newtofta - what 'test' did you do?
put it in drive, engaged the emergancy brake and turned the ignition key to see if the starter would engage. It did not.

what is the truck doing/ not doing? Turning over, clicking but not starting.

what kind of sound does it make? Turning over, clicking

Old 12-07-10, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
We have a terminology issue. "Turning over" would indicate the solenoid and starter working and the engine spinning...whether it tries to start or not.

"Clicking" would mean the starter never engages and the engine does not rotate.

Sorry chilly...need to clarify....

Old 12-07-10, 12:23 PM
Okay - Let's try this again. The engine is trying to turn over, like it is a low battery, yet stays constant. When I release the ignition key I get a clunk/click.

Old 12-07-10, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
CRUD! Lost a reply!

Anyway..if the starter engages and the engine turns over...it's not the solenoid. I've heard of the contacts in the solenoid being burned enough that they don't provide full current..but never seen it. Normally it just becomes intermittent.

Does the engine crank at normal speed...or does it "struggle"? Any grinding or slipping? You should be able to hear the starter spinning. Does it seem normal?

Old 12-07-10, 01:03 PM
Anyway..if the starter engages and the engine turns over...it's not the solenoid. I've heard of the contacts in the solenoid being burned enough that they don't provide full current..but never seen it. Normally it just becomes intermittent.

Does the engine crank at normal speed...or does it "struggle"? Any grinding or slipping? You should be able to hear the starter spinning. Does it seem normal?[/QUOTE]

Here goes - at first the engine cranks normal. when I try again, it struggles. Grinding, I can't tell, but I do believe I hear slipage. I couldn't hear if the starting is spinning, I hear the engine, because I'm in the vehicle. I am doing this by myself.

Old 12-07-10, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it turns over slow with a fully charged new battery, the starter might need replacing..... but check all the cables first to make sure they all have good contact. Most auto parts stores can test the starter for you ..... but it needs to be off of the vehicle.

Old 12-07-10, 01:34 PM
I thought it was the battery, which I replaced and it acted the same way, therefore I assumed it was the starter.

I did a test: newtofta - what 'test' did you do?
put it in drive, engaged the emergancy brake and turned the ignition key to see if the starter would engage. It did not.

So it there another test I could do to check the stater? I know I can disconnect the solenoid and check it.

Old 12-07-10, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Chilly...now that I read again...with an auto trans..you can't engage the starter unless you are in P or N. Safety switches prevent that.

Old 12-07-10, 05:22 PM
This test was recommended by the car manual for this vehicle. Are you saying that regardless of that the test, it wouldn't have engaged period? Because the manual stated that if the starter was not working properly, it would move in gear, and need to be replaced.

Old 12-07-10, 07:14 PM
that test does not make any sense,(possibly-if it is a standard shift trans,it might make some sense)
try-raise the hood - get to where you can see the engine fan through the bottom of the hood- turn the key to start-is the fan going around?-if so the engine is spinning.

if not - try -you will need a helper - one of you turn the key to start - have the other crawl under & 'tap' on the starter housing with a 'small' hammer. - some times a failing starter will work a couple of more times like this.

also feel of the battery cables-are they 'hot' after trying to start?-if so - indicates a 'dragging' starter.

Old 12-07-10, 07:29 PM
trying to turn engine in D?

anyhow, read line "a" in the instructions; i can almost bet that you have oxidized or bad terminals/cables. before you really tear it apart or, lord save, break something by "testing " it, do voltage test described.

Old 12-07-10, 07:32 PM
well, it did not come up good enough. from kind permission, let me re-size it:

sorry, can't help; looks like site autimatically resizes pics; let me just put link for it here:
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n.../starter-2.jpg

Old 12-07-10, 09:55 PM
ukrbyk, thanks for the diagram. Thanks everyone for all your help. I will get someone to give me a hand and work at this. Thanks again, I appreciate all the info.

Old 12-08-10, 05:06 PM
howdy neighbor. what cold? it's 58 outside in Seattle.

before you really dive into this,:NO NO NO: buy $1 worth terminal cleaning tool at any parts store, remove terminals and clean them. then give it a shot.
also, as you should have side mount terminals, ones on the battery might be hard to clean - though you have new one anyway. they sell electric parts cleaning spray too. works well. if you succeeded with this simple fix, turn around and buy a can of electric sealant. sorta purplish colored spray. spray it over the CLEANED terminals liberally. be happy.

on some makes, battery cables have several cables bolted to a terminal. it is not uncommon for those to oxidize where they contact each other. they need to be disassembled and cleaned either, then sealed.

Search this Thread