gas mileage

Old 12-11-10, 06:06 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
gas mileage

I use a spread sheet to track my gas mileage and repairs. The other day I got gas and later on when I made my entry I found out that I lost over a 100 miles on the last tank of gas. I got a locking gas cap, and asked my neighbor if he was having the same trouble, because we share a drive way. He told me that it was because of the ethanol in the gas. I can see maybe a mile or 2, but could ethanol go from 17 miles a gallon, to 8 miles a gallon, in one tank of gas.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-10, 08:43 PM
R
I wouldn’t jump to conclusion that ethanol is causing a drastic reduction in your gas mileage. Doubtful that all your other tanks of gas were ethanol free. If other tanks had ethanol, how does your neighbor explain that? My guess is that you made a transposition error with one of the numbers being recorded or pumped from a machine w/ a faulty meter.

Old 12-11-10, 08:52 PM
C
what is your location ? cold weather uses a lot more gas. mine is cut in half. mostly because of warm ups. but also because cold air needs more fuel.

Old 12-12-10, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I find with the increase of additives that increase Cetane in Diesel in winter causes a drastic reduction in fuel mileage (sometimes as much as 5 to 7 mpg). Not sure if ethanol would cause such a drop, especially if you can't determine which stations use ethanol (10%) and which do not.

Old 12-12-10, 08:26 AM
C
around here, ALL the stations use ethanol. i remember when they started putting it in the gas. my mileage went down 20%. they say it is to save the environment, they say you will use less gasoline.
but guess what, that is not true. i have to press the throttle more to get the same performance. ethanol = more profit for the refineries.

Old 12-12-10, 09:44 AM
Received 67 Votes on 58 Posts
If you are interested in gas without ethanol, it is still available in some locations, but might be hard to find in many. I have found that asking the attendant is useless, they don't have a clue what you are talking about! Try this website for assistance.

Find ethanol free gas near you!

Old 12-12-10, 10:14 AM
C
150 miles away.................................................

Old 12-12-10, 09:48 PM
E
I was surprised at all of the replies. And even more surprised, that no one was thinking like I was. The drop in mileage I had was about 5 or 6 gallons on the last tank of gas. I checked all of my receipts and everything checks out. I was just checking the ethanol roomer, but I am leaning more towards some one with a hose.

Old 12-13-10, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 48 Votes on 38 Posts
They got in past a locking gas cap?

I wouldn't discount a mechanical/electrical problem, either. Probably wouldn't hurt to put a scanner on it to see what comes up.

Old 12-13-10, 10:19 AM
E
No they didn't get pass the cap, I just put that on after the drop in mileage. The next step will be put it in the garage at night with my dog.

Old 12-13-10, 01:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned over one tank of gas, run a couple more and see if the numbers even out or continue - there are a lot of factors which can throw off the readings at any one fill up

Old 12-13-10, 03:29 PM
Ethanol free gas is at least 3 states away. Go figure!!

Old 12-18-10, 10:12 PM
E
No not really that far away. On that web sight, I can get it about 50 miles away.

Old 12-19-10, 07:29 AM
M
Originally Posted by Edward074 View Post
but I am leaning more towards some one with a hose.
Most, if not all modern cars have a blocker in the fuel filler tube to prevent a hose being inserted. Try to put a hose in the fuel filler and see how far it goes in. I'll bet not much. Locking gas caps are a waste of money and a PITA.

Old 12-19-10, 08:36 AM
C
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Most, if not all modern cars have a blocker in the fuel filler tube to prevent a hose being inserted. Try to put a hose in the fuel filler and see how far it goes in. I'll bet not much. Locking gas caps are a waste of money and a PITA.
those are "roll over" valves. but they do work as theft preventers. locking gas caps are not a waist of money. well, for some people. as they can prevent someone from putting something other than gas in the tank. ymmv

Old 12-19-10, 12:36 PM
R
When you get old everything reminds you of something. Had a friend that worked at a power plant at night. One of the g[U]ys bought a new VW for the milage. For the first month or so the guys would go out and pour a gallon of gas in his tank. Then they started siphoning out a gallon each time. He about drove the dealer nuts.

Old 12-19-10, 05:15 PM
C
Originally Posted by retired wrench View Post
When you get old everything reminds you of something. Had a friend that worked at a power plant at night. One of the g[U]ys bought a new VW for the milage. For the first month or so the guys would go out and pour a gallon of gas in his tank. Then they started siphoning out a gallon each time. He about drove the dealer nuts.
lol....................................................

Old 12-19-10, 07:01 PM
That is priceless, retired wrench!