98 ford 3.8 code 1512 IMRC Bank1 stuck closed

Old 12-12-10, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
98 ford 3.8 code 1512 IMRC Bank1 stuck closed

This is on a 98 windstar and my gas mileage has suddenly went from average to bad.The engine also every now and then just dies,mostly when you come to a stop. I have installed new plugs and wires and you cant tell it is running 99% of the time.
I know ford has a problem with the manifold runners on this engine and they haven't bothered to announce it to many people.I guess the manifold problem is a recall but they are keeping it quiet. Thats a good way to end up like gm and chrysler,just my opinoin.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-10, 09:00 PM
I know ford has a problem with the manifold runners on this engine and they haven't bothered to announce it to many people.I guess the manifold problem is a recall but they are keeping it quiet. Thats a good way to end up like gm and chrysler,just my opinoin.
Dude......You are discussing a 13 year old vehicle.....

Why should there be a recall......Consider what IMRC does, and after 13 years to have a problem with it, and you're pointing fingers and looking for someone to blame?.......Cmon now.......

Old 12-13-10, 09:29 AM
ford recall

Ive owned this windstar since 20,000 miles and it has been using antifreeze since shortly after i bought it but i was told using antifreeze was normal by a local ford dealer at about 30,000 miles. My mistake was not raising h---ll at that time like thousands of other ford owners should have done. I have driven fords all my life ,im now 63 and i trusted ford.I havent had a computer all that long,couple years so i trusted what i heard. Just lately i have talked to some registered mechanics and they leveled with me about this problem .They said they were sick and tired of hearing about this ford lack of notifying people of a recall when it actually should have been told to ford constomers. Now i am realizing why i am seeing so many new gms on the road lately.I may be next and it would be my first anything other than ford. Thank you for your opinion.I guess since the recall has been ignored for years that makes it ok.

Last edited by Roeboat109; 12-13-10 at 09:38 AM. Reason: change
Old 12-13-10, 05:28 PM
Ok,

Now.....The recall for loss of coolant is listed as CAMPAIGN # 99-20-7, release date 10/04/99.....It involves a revised torque sequence and value, and if necessary, a new water pump gasket.

If you were NOT the original owner of the Vehicle, Then FORD (Nor any other MFR for that matter) is OBLIGATED to keep track of the vehicle for you.

What ever does that have to do with IMRC????

Yes, they are a problem, yes Ford Knows about it, Yes there was a TSB for an IMRC repair procedure. BUT>>>>>

Once the Vehicle is beyond MFR's warranty, Once again, They are not OBLIGATED to replace it for you, Based on a TSB.

I do agree however, that The sad truth at times with dealerships, is that they push you off until after the warranty is over. There Is a 1-800 # to every major manufacturer, and you are well within your rights to complain if you feel youve been treated poorly. Many times the MFR will "GOOD WILL" a repair beyond warranty, But I highly doubt you will get anywhere with a 13 year old Manifold controller.

Old 12-13-10, 06:34 PM
ford recall

I completely understand where you are coming from.I purchased an extended warranty from the dealer when we bought the van but I really don't remember if it was from ford or one the the thousand of extended warranties offered nowdays. I realize im talking about a dead horse here.All im saying is i feel that since i did purchase the extention from whomever i should have been notified.I really believe that was the service tech managers job and he didnt follow through.Since then the dealer is closed up.
Ford probably thinks they are saving money but so did chrysler and gm. Im sure they have all had problems that were kept s
ecret.The original code said p1512 IMRC Bank1 Stuck closed.The machanic told me that a plastic clip was missing that had something to do with a rod in the manifold and the gasket was also losing antifreeze and most all fords of those years did it. Thanks for trying to explain.As you are aware,im sure,there are thousands of these problems on these models online.Thats why people arent buy new anymore.No trust in manufacturing service.

Old 12-13-10, 07:23 PM
Just for INFO.....

COOLANT CANNOT LEAK, from an IMRC...... Its in an air chamber . The pushrod clip you are referring to is easily visible by looking at the control motor. IIRC its the same clip as was used on The "DOOR LATCH"
A 25 cent junkyard part.

I work For Chrysler, and we too have issues. No doubt. The problem comes in when The legitimate problem, and The "ATTITUDE" customer cannot be determined. Yes , the economy is tough on everyone, and no-one LIKES spending money. Having said that, Not all mechanics are thieves, And not all Dealerships treat there customers like Garbage. On the flip side, ....."He is a poor Business man because he doesnt treat his customers right"........
Just consider for a moment........He is a Poor CUSTOMER, because he doesnt treat his Business man Right"
Granted, a warranty is Just what it states.....But Mrs Jones has a 2010 Caravan, with inoperative Rear seat adjusters........Because her Children insist on Getting in to the Van thru the tailgate and "HURDLING" over the seat backs....... The headrests are now broken, the seat frames are bent, And she Feels this is a defect In Chryslers Seat Manufacturing......So Tell me Truthfully......Why should I even Remotely be expected to honor her warranty and submit the Claim....???

Old 12-13-10, 10:34 PM
Roeboat, Is this a request for help,or just a Ford Bashing post??... I have to agree with Unclediesel as the IMRC system has nothing to do with the cooling system & if there are any recalls on vehicles, Ford will use the DMV database to locate owners... Service bullitens are a fix as required kinda thing & if you never went to your local Ford Dealer for service,, the bullitens wouldn't be addressed.. I was a Tech with Ford for ~20 years & it seems that you didn't register the unit when you bought it, or you use the local service center for your service.. The IMRC part is worth ~$1.00 & the coolant issue is another thread... Just Thoughts,, Roger

Old 12-14-10, 02:01 PM
ford recall or lack of.

First of all when i bought the vehicle off a private dealer with 20,000 miles he sent the paperwork in ,im not sure where,i presumed it went to a place that registered the warranty.Ive been using excessive antifreeze most of the time ive owned it.The registered mechaic said it was a manifold gasket or problem somewhere around the manifold or possibly head gasket. From what ive read on different websites im one of very many with this issue.
The engine code problem ive been told is with the manifold runner including the plastic clip. Im not a mechanic thats why i entrust in them. When underneath the van you can see a green liguid coming from somewhere.Its not a river but it is very noticable. I cant really tell exectly where it is coming from.
If i get a chance i will try to post all my ford products i have owned. I have 5 children and 4 of them drive ford products.If you think im bashing fords thats your opinion.Im actually just expecting service when something is wrong with their product.I makes no difference how many miles are on my vehicle its when the problem started and was ignored. You dont know me or you would know im not just blowing snow. I may have miswritten some of this problem but the problem hasnt changed. My fault is i trust people to do their job because i try too.Thanks for your opinion.

Old 12-14-10, 06:04 PM
Here is the issue......

The IMRC clip is in no way shape or form a repair of any component other than the "LINK" to IMRC from The manifold. The coolant issue, in no way caused a failure of any component other than a coolant leak..

If you have a Beef with Ford over your Recall Coolant leak...FIND ANOTHER DEALER.....Recalls are forever, and they have no choice but to perform the service for you. Whether or not not the recall will adress your particular leak is anyones guess......

My point was, regardless of the "BAD TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH" over how you were initially "Brushed -Off" ....How can you be upset over a broken piece of 13 year old plastic??? When It isnt even worth the gas money you will spend to drive to the dealer even if they would do it "No Charge". SCHMIDT HAPPENS...
I still have turkey leg leftovers from thanksgiving...If I ate one and got sick...I cant blame the ""Mother in law" for making bad turkey ....

Like I said...Recalls are "FOREVER"...It can still be performed tommorrow if need be.

Old 12-14-10, 07:48 PM
ford recall

When the bank1 stuck closed and the service soon light came on what would happen if nothing was checked out and the light remained on?
Ive always tried to take good care of my vehicles.I changed my oil and filter every 2000-3000 miles and i have changed my transmission oil and filter 4 times since i have had it. My transmission still seems to shift fine.Most fords have trans.problems thats why i keep and eye on everything. Like i said before im no mechanic. I just think this engine has a lot of miles left in it if taken care of.thank you all for your input .

Old 12-14-10, 08:59 PM
[QUOTE=Roeboat109;1800810]When the bank1 stuck closed and the service soon light came on what would happen if nothing was checked out and the light remained on?
I would think the light would'nt warn you of other problems & in a worse case you would be buying new cat converters.. & fuel milage would suffer even more than it is now... You'll never need head gaskets on '98 Ford 3.8l engines, there a totally different engine than the early ones,, Your leak may be a water pump or a hose,, You'll have to check into it... if you can see it leaking, follow it to the source...(sometimes a mirror is helpful)).. Roger

Old 12-15-10, 02:13 PM
ford recall possibility

What might happen if the bank1 remains closed?I will try to trace the leak of antifreeze.This is the problem that the mechanic said it was problem from some source like a gasket which is supposedly where the whole problem applying to any type of possible recall. Im just relaying what i was told by the mechanic. Frankly Im sick and tired of having anitfreeze on my garage floor. I just dont want my engine to go.Hey my budget is tight too just like everyone elses.Thanks.