2007 Chevy Malibu and ABS

Old 12-13-10, 08:54 AM
2007 Chevy Malibu and ABS

Does anyone know if by 2007, are ABS systems standard equipment on Chevy Malibu's?
We had our first snow last night and this morning when coming down our driveway with slight downhill grade; hitting the brakes locked the front wheels with no apparent ABS reaction through the brake pedal. Admittedly not going more than 5-7 mph but thought for sure, I should've felt that pulsation when the front wheels locked up.
Thanks again,
greynold99

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-10, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
What model? Edmunds shows 4 wheel ABS standard on some (apparently all V-6s), but doesn't mention it at all for lesser models. It may also show options on the glove compartment label? Or check the fuses...should be a separate one for ABS.

Old 12-13-10, 10:15 AM
reply to GunGuy45

Hey thanks for the reply... Yes it is a lower end LS model Malibu with the 4 cyl engine.
I had always thought by now ABS would've been standard equipment on most if not all cars. I'll give a look inside the glove box tonight.
Anyway, I'll probably wait to check the fuses till it 'warms' up here to 20 or 30 degrees F.
Most of the cars I've driven didn't have ABS anyway so I don't think I'll miss it too much.
greynold99

Old 12-13-10, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
I thought the same thing...even the most basic cars would have it. My mid-level Suzuki Verona from 2004 has it.

I think yours showed traction control as an option..I always thought that meant ABS was a pre-requisite.

Maybe it's becoming so standard that they don't even list it anymore?

Old 12-13-10, 12:24 PM
Found out some information

Apparently you're right, that ABS was an option on the 4 cyl LS models. And I guess I should've remembered that when you start the car you'll get that (ABS) symbol to light up somewhere on the instrument console cluster - just for a moment as it does a self test on the various electrical/fuel/air systems when starting.
I just never noticed -- which probably means my car doesn't have the ABS option; I'll be sure to check tonight.
Looks like I probably need to go with regular winter tires rather than all seasons to compensate a bit for the lack of ABS. I always did that with my older cars as I thought about it - got a pair of steel rims and mounted snow tires on them. Couldn't really afford to do that with the alloy-rims (no hub caps) when they cost $200 per rim but this car has steel rims.
Thanks again,
greynold99