PT cruiser electrical issue

Old 12-15-10, 10:05 AM
PT cruiser electrical issue

Hey all,

I have a 2002 PT cruiser. Problem first occurred about a week ago. I went to lock the vehicle with the key fob and the doors didn't automatically lock like usual. The horn beeped and that was it. I got in the vehicle and actually pressed the door switch to lock /unlock and nothing happened other than you hear possibly a relay clicking behind the power window buttons on the dash. After a few tries the door locks started working and have had no problems for a week or so and now today it cropped up again but this time it hasn't worked after many many attempts so I am forced to manual open the doors. The key fob works as the horn beeps when I actuate it and the relay is clicking in the dash however, the lights don't flash and the door locks don't open when commanded . When I press the door switch to lock or unlock I can also hear the clicking relay as well but the doors locks don't open. I haven't had a chance to pull the schematic for this car however, I am wondering if it could be a defective relay or something wrong with the power side of the circuit all together. Please comment if anyone knows about this system and what is likely to fail as I'll investigate soon. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 10:17 AM
How old is the car battery? Might be a cause if it is getting weak?

Old 12-15-10, 10:29 AM
Car battery is about 2 years old and I am not experiencing any other electrical issues other than the locks. I can verify that though with. I did a quick check on the schematic and it shows a keyless entry control module pretty much controls all the door locks and stuff so the problem could be in there if this is located in the dash.

Old 12-15-10, 10:31 AM
See if that module/relay is the same part # as other ones in the service box; if so, try swapping them and see if it fixes your problem. If it does, then get a new relay.

Old 12-15-10, 10:46 AM
I can try and do that once I investigate more. My concern is that possibly the keyless entry module is a sealed unit and possibly bad and maybe these relays are not swapable.

Old 12-15-10, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
I'd guess most likely you only have a loose connection or bad wire somewhere. Electronics rarely stop..then start and work for a week.

EDIT: See if your door ajar light is working

Old 12-15-10, 06:41 PM
Follow the schematic a step back......If it doesnt work with the basic lock controls, RKE (Remote keyless entry ) module is a NON ISSUE.

You need to find out why the door locks dont work, before chasing down RKE problems.
Do the locks , LOCK from the master controls.???

This is a factory KEY FOB, isnt it????? Its not an add -on Aftermarket alarm ??

Old 12-16-10, 04:45 AM
Didn't notice it before as it was daytime but go in the car this morning and the headlights and dash lights do not come on when you turn the multifunction switch. so now the door locks do not work when presing the master switch in the vehicle or the lights. Looking briefly at the schematics it looks like the multi function swich is tied into the keyless entry module. I have a feeling it is a power issue somewhere. I'll need to work through these schematics a bit and try and narrow it down.

Old 12-16-10, 07:14 PM
I didget a chance to look at the issue tonight briefly ( presently about 20 deg. outside) anyways someime the locks/headlights work and sometimes they don't. I was able to narrow it down a bit as follows. I turned on the switch ( lights did not come on) so I proceeded to pop the hood. low and behold the lights came on and the locks worked. I waited about an hour and went back out and they didn't work again. This time I hit the dash twice right in front of the interior fuseblock and everything came on and worked. I believe the problem may lie in the fuseblock possibly. Looks like a 40 amp fuse in the dist. box in the engine compartment feeds 3 fuses in the interior fuse block for the RKE, headlamp switch and park lights. My question is how to best troubleshoot the fusebox itself. Do the wires all plug into the back where I could pull them out and check for corrosion or something loose. It looks like the box can be unbolted from the frame but I have never done this. If anyone can comment on how everything terminates that would be great as I'll check tomorrow. Thanks

Old 12-17-10, 07:09 AM
Same problems

I own a 2002 PT Cruiser. I am having the exact same issues. All my fuses are good, relays have been replaced. I replaced the multifunction switch. My battery is 1 year old. My door locks, dash lights and headlights all do not work. I am almost convinced that this issue is related to the RKE module. If I remember correctly, when the car was working right, when I would remotely lock the doors my lights would flash and doors would lock. Now nothing happens except a click from the RKE. I would really like to know if you ever figure out what this issue is. I wonder if I can go to the dealer and have them check my RKE module?

Old 12-17-10, 09:43 AM
I'll look at this weekend and let you know what I find. I can tell you this as I have all the wiring diagrams in front of me for the 2002 pt. If your headlights are not working as well as the locks then the issue shouldn't be in the RKE. Looking at the wiring layout the power goes directly from the fuseblock to the multi switch which then feeds the lights. The RKE is also fed off the same circuit as the Multi switch. It almost seems like a power issue somewhere like myself. One thing you could try to nail down is look at your door lock button itself on the door, it should have a small green led on it that should light when you turn on the headlights. These lights are tied directly to the multi switch/power and do not go through the RKE at all. If these lights are not on when you turn the lights on then you do not even have the correct power to the multi switch. Being that ther are so many devices not working I'll bet it is a power or ground wire/connection somewhere.

Old 12-17-10, 09:52 AM
I just went to the local auto parts store and had them test my battery. Readings said, Good Battery - Needs Charged. The CCA is rated at 630 but it only read at 526. That leads me back to the alternator... Thank you for the reply... I have an appointment scheduled for Monday at the Chrysler dealer. They charge 70$ an hour, I am giving them one hour to check it out. That's if I don't figure it out before then. By the way the green light is lite up on my door switch. Thanks again.

Old 12-17-10, 09:55 AM
Correction... the green light is NOT lite on my door switch.

Old 12-17-10, 10:22 AM
If that door switch led isn't lit either then I think we are dealing with the same issue here. That circuit is fed from directly from fuse #2(15A) to the switch then on to the led's. I have a feeing you are losing a power connection somewhere in the fuseblock or connectors. I would try loosening the fuseblock ( mine is held on with two screws next to the steering column in the access opening). I was going to take the screws out and check the connectors at the back of the block or at the least wiggle the box around wit the light switch turned on and see if anything lights. Maybe you'll get lucing and fined the issue. Like stated I just banged near my box and the lights came on. Good luck and let me know if you found anything.

Old 12-17-10, 12:56 PM
I just studied the wiring diagrams and have found 3 shared grounds that may be the cause of this. G201- Center rear of instrument panel, G103- Left fender area, and G104- Right fender area. I will check them out tonight. One other connector it could be is C105- white 26 pin connector on left side of instrument panel.

Old 12-17-10, 07:35 PM
Just an FYI - I have been battling the issue all night christmas shopping but may be this will help. I just went out and when nothing would work I proceeded to wiggle the wires that go into one of the large connectors directly at the back of the fuse block. I wiggled a wire and low and behold I could simulate the issue. Wiggle the wire and the head lights would go on and off and the door lock switch led would go off and on. So at this point it looks like the issue has been found, just need to investigate further on how to fix the loose connection.

Old 12-20-10, 05:56 AM
I know this is a "do it yourself" forum but my car is now sitting at the Chrysler dealer. I have wasted too many nights on it. Plus it is too damn cold be in the unheated garage anymore working on this. I will let you know that the dealer finds.

Old 12-20-10, 06:01 AM
Thanks, I did find the issue on mine but haven't corrected yet as it's quite cold here as well. What I found was looking uder the dash there is a connector that mates the wires from the fuseblock to the wires coming from another location. There is one wire that is visibly corroded as it goes into this connector. I haven't pulled the connector apart yet however, I broke the tape apart and wiggled all the wires a bit where they go into the connector. This may have just been enough to break the corrosion and make it a bit better as the problem hasn't occurred in a couple days. Once the weather gets better or it gets worse I'll remake the connection. Good luck with yours and let me know how you made out and what they found. Thanks

Old 12-20-10, 11:40 AM
Fixed!

I just picked my car up and is well now. Here is what the Tech wrote on my service Invoice... "Main power line to multifunction switch was burnt at the connector. Tech bypassed the connector and repaired the wire." It was well worth the $125 charge, now I don't have to drive with my flashers at dawn...lol