2011 Toyota Camry Gas Warning Light

Old 12-15-10, 07:27 PM
2011 Toyota Camry Gas Warning Light

I have a 2011 Toyota Camry and I noticed that the gas light comes on too early. When the gas light goes on the level is between E and 1/4. When I fill up the tank and the amount of gallons that is pumped is about 15 gallons with an 18.5 gallon tank. I should technically be able to drive another 60 miles when the light turns on. Is that normal for new cars? The gas light on my 1995 camry turned on with less than 2 gallons left.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-10, 07:39 PM
The light is just a warning to let you know to plan ahead. The light may also go out when you drive since it is just a borderline notification and may likely come on again when you slow and turn into a gas station.

I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy and the when the light comes on it will take 12 to 13 gallons in a tank with a 15 or 18 gallon capacity. If I bury the needle on the gas gauge, I can manage to get in about 13 to 14 gallons, but do not want to chance running out and trying to get going with a couple of gallons added to the tank. If I was driving across North Dakota in the winter, I would just top off if I saw station when I was down to 1/2 if I am in town, I am not far from a station.

I find my overhead console gives me a very accurate information on the amount of gas used (within .2 gallons) and the range left, since the range is updated based on the previous mileage since resetting. - This is even on an older American car and not a higher tech car that might even parallel park itself.

Like all needle gauges, the fuel gauge is an indicator and does not show number accurately. Do you worry if your temperature gauge goes up 5 degrees?

Dick

Old 12-16-10, 08:46 PM
you have roughly 3 gallons gas left when light comes up. you have been warned. the only trophy for messing with that knowledge is getting stranded somewhere, usually in the least appropriate place. this is standard Camry feature. let me rephrase it. this is standard Toyota feature. Honda's about the same.