toyota paseo

Old 12-15-10, 10:20 PM
toyota paseo

Hello
I changed head gasket on a 93 pesao W/ a 1.5 5E.motor. had the head re surfaced, but didnt do a valve job. Im sure i have the timing right, and am getting air,spark & gas. actually 2 much gas. It cranks but wont fire. Heres the thing, when i pulled the plugs they were all soaked w/ gas. my question is why is it flooding ? pressure reg. valve job or adjusting? any input would be great thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-10, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
How about valve timing, i.e. timing belt in proper position?

Old 12-16-10, 07:44 AM
are plug wires (if it has them) on the right plugs?

Old 12-16-10, 09:52 AM
paseo

yea the plug wires r right. Valve timing eh? as i said b4 i didnt service the valves. mabey do an adjustment huh? if a valve opens @ the wrong time, it COULD dump 2 much fuel into the cylinder, right?
i think ill try that. what do you think?

Old 12-17-10, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Not necessarily too much, but if it goes in there and doesn't fire it has nowhere to go. Check the alignment marks on the timing gears, crank and cam. May be something else entirely, but that's a good place to start. You have a manual you're working from? The good news is that your engine is not listed as an interference engine (aka valve-bender) so no harm done if it's the belt position.

Old 12-18-10, 01:28 AM
yea the timing marks were off on the cams.actually got it runnin. before i started this the car idled fine but bogged under power . figured it was the head gasket,it was blown,but it still boggs down under power. any ideas? thinkin a senser or something. anyways now its not gettin spark, again im thinkin senser.any ideas on what to check? as far as a manual, THEY DONT MAKE ONE. but im online. thanx

Old 12-18-10, 06:26 AM
Group Moderator
Couple of sources:

https://www.eautorepair.net/app/Cust...DN=Paseo&PS=16

https://checkout.alldatadiy.com/adec...ngine=41746602

ebay has factory manuals, which are a bit pricier but much more complete than the average repair manual:

1993 Toyota Paseo Service Shop Repair Manual OEM 93 - eBay (item 160520337397 end time Jan-15-11 16:23:44 PST)

I really think you are going to need some printed help on this one. If all else fails, I think the Tercel was quite similar.

Haven't worked on an early 90s Toy for a while. That has a regular distributor mounted opposite end of cam from timing belt? Work backwards from the plugs. If it has a crank sensor that's a possibility. Without a manual to know what the configuation and components are, I would be shooting in the dark, too.

I'm hoping one of our pro mechs drops in for some ideas as well.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-18-10 at 06:43 AM.