Silverado alarm

Old 12-15-10, 09:29 PM
Silverado alarm

I have Chevy Silverado 2500HD basic model, no DIC buttons. There is a little blue light on the left side of the dash board next to the head light switch. Recently I noticed, that the blue light (alarm "ON" indicator?) comes "ON" steady as soon as I turn the ignition "OFF", no horn chirps when lock/unlock by RKE and Aproach Light doesn't come "ON" when unlocked.
Before the blue light came "ON" only when I locked the vehicle by remote controlled key (RKE) and it was flashing (not steady). There was also a horn chirp when I locked and two chirps when I unlocked the vehicle by RKE and the Aproach Lighting came "ON" when unlocked by RKE (exit lighting works as before).
I did not do any repair or anything with the wiring nor did I knowlingly set or reset these functions. Is there any way to select or reset the operation of the alarm system and/or Aproach Lighting and lock/unlock chirps?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-10, 08:42 PM
did you buy it new or used? sounds like aftermarket install. i have 2000 Silvie with all blows and whistles, no blue lights there. does not sound "chevroletish".
either way, all those functions are controlled by BCM - body control module, one responsible for car OEM safety system. that's the guy that disables fuel system and kicks alarm in when he thinks car's being stolen. unfortunately, BCMs are known to be monkey brains and act weird sometimes. very known issue is BCMs dislike to remote starts, and there's special procedure how to disable safety feature to install them, and then there are even more users that have huge headaches thereafter.
anyhow, write down your VIN and call dealership. ask them if your truck has any special security/safety features installed that resulted in that light. if not, you have aftermarket gadget somewhere.
out of curiosity, try this: stand next to driver door, and press lock and unlock buttons on the fob for more than 5 seconds. you should hear locks cycle. this is "key relearn" procedure. sort of refreshes BCMs memory of your particular key; fobs have rolling codes; this procedure has to be performed every time battery in fob is removed or replaced.
yes, owner manual has detailed description of all locking options resets. sorry, i am away from my truck for a day. you can google them easily though.

Old 12-17-10, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. You're right, the alarm system is most likely aftermarket. I bought the vehicle used. But then again the lock/unlock chirps were there as described in the manual and they're gonne now. Belive me I looked through the manual 4 times before I posted this question. There supposed to be a "Key Relearn" mode selected by odometer reset stem, according to the manual, but I can't get it on the display. So I have to inquire at a dealership.

Old 12-18-10, 07:39 PM
oh my.. they really got it sophisticated on yours.