Can't shift KIA Sportage into 4X4

Old 12-20-10, 07:20 AM
Question Can't shift KIA Sportage into 4X4

2000 Kia Sportage, Sport Utility Vehicle , 5 speed manual trans. 4X4. Has 56,000 on it. Can't get the 4 wheel shift lever to move.

I know basic mechanics, but have no clue about what or how a 4 wheel drive works. I haven't ever used the 4 wheel drive that much, in fact I had to have the seals replaced about 3 years ago. I guess you are supposed to run it in 4 wheel a few times a year to keep it working. I have 2 vehicles, this one sits most of the time, as you can see from the mileage.
I want to sell it. I had a young man look at it, but we were unable to get it to shift into 4x4. Obviously he backed out of the deal. I don't want this to be a deal breaker every time. I don't want to put a lot of money into this thing given that I'm selling it. Is there some way to get this sucker freed up and working??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-10, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Whats it say in the manual? Shift on the fly?? You may need to be moving. If your trying 4 wheel low I believe 1-4 MPH and do a smooth pull of the lever through 4 hi-N-4lo. Plus you need to hold the button on the side of the lever for 4 wheel lo.

Old 12-20-10, 08:14 AM
Yeah it shifts on the fly, if you call 4mph flying
I went out and looked there isn't any button on the side, it's just a knob. I tried to pull it up, nothing. I did get it to move a little toward 4H. I don't want to force it. When I pulled back on it I could head a sound like it was trying to engage but couldn't quite get there???? Ya know how when you shift the manual trans, if you don't have your foot on the clutch all the way there is a short thump before it starts grinding the gear? It kinda tells ya, hey stupid shift slower or push the clutch faster!. The 4 wheels sounds like it's bumping into something and can't lock into place, or shift past it for that matter.

Last edited by Home wrecker; 12-20-10 at 08:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Search this Thread