replacing sensors?

Old 12-20-10, 07:57 PM
replacing sensors?

I drive a 98 windstar 3.8L I replaced the spark plugs and wires.Engine runs smooth.Every now and then when the engine is warm and when you are stopped it just dies.It always starts right up but sometimes it does it several times and always starts right up. My service soon light has been on for a couple thousand miles. I took it to my mechanic and he ask me about the fuel pump but he really didnt think that it was that. He thinks it is probably the oxygen sensors.If it is which one do you usually replace first or does it matter?I have 141,000 miles and runs good. I do have a manifold runner stuck closed but the machanic said he didnt think that was causing the problem. All in all what are your opinions? thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-10, 04:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your "mechanic" should have been able to run the CEL codes and zeroed in on the problem. Go to a store like Auto Zone and let them run the codes, write them down, and beg them to clear the codes. They may not.

Old 12-22-10, 10:57 AM
Ditto to getting the codes read.

You may need to clean the throttle bore. There is crud that builds up next to the butterfly valve and chokes off air flow that is most noticeable when warm.

Old 12-29-10, 08:19 AM
engine codes

I had autozone test for new codes. they found 1537 and1538 along with 171and174. The engine runs nice except for stalling when at stop stops .It does it whatever gear its in.Thanks for reading.

Old 12-29-10, 08:24 AM
a common problem for the lean codes is the upper intake gaskets & the bolt seals that hold the upper to the lower

Old 12-29-10, 09:16 AM
codes for fords

Is this the problem that ford had a recall for and didnt notify anyone other than the original ower even though i bought an extended warranty through 50,000 miles?Thanks.

Old 12-29-10, 09:23 AM
I agree---Cheapest (might fix) is to clean the throttle body with spray choke cleaner. I have solved many issues just by cleaning--- with a certain procedure.
I can go through how I do it if you desire.
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
Ditto to getting the codes read.

You may need to clean the throttle bore. There is crud that builds up next to the butterfly valve and chokes off air flow that is most noticeable when warm.

Old 12-29-10, 09:25 AM
You could always go to a Ford dealer, give them your VIN and ask if there are any outstanding recalls not performed on your vehicle. It doesn't matter if you are a secondary owner.

Here is the throttle body cleaning procedure from my files:

To clean, remove the throttle body and clean the bore and butterfly valve using carb cleaner (or throttle body cleaning spray) and a toothbrush. You'll have to work at it...the stuff is hard to get off. When clean, you should see an even gap of air around the butterfly valve. Disconnect the battery for a minute afterwards, to force the computer to relearn the new idle parameters with the clean throttle body.

Old 01-03-11, 07:30 PM
98 windstar engine light on

I have reported before that my 3.8 windstr has manifold problems runners stuck open and leaking antifreeze for 10 yrs.even after i bought an extended warranty.
This ford recall as of jan 2000 involves manifolds Should i check with ford about this? I have been putting up with this leak ever since i bought it.I purchased it with 20.000 miles.and bought a warranty to 50,000. I have discussed this manifold with you before but i knew nothing of the jan 2006 settllement that ford had agreed to.

Old 01-04-11, 09:03 AM
sounds as if you have several problems.
1-the lean codes involve seals that have nothing to do with coolant or the intake runners system.
2-the intake runners have nothing to do with a coolant leak.
3-'I' do not 'think' any of these problems were problems were covered by a 'recall'!
they 'may' have had a 'tsb' published to address the concern.-most tsb's have a time & mileage restriction-(as in 5yrs/60,000 miles-or something of this nature-from the ORIGINAL new vehicle in service date!
a tsb usually does not have any thing to do with an extended warranty! it will cover certain part#s that will be listed in your contract.
the repair will have to be diagnosed & an repair estimate made by a repair facility authorized in your contract.
you will be responsible for any diagnostics/ parts/etc not covered.