'96 Ford Explorer w/ missing coolant reservoir cap

Old 12-24-10, 10:09 PM
'96 Ford Explorer w/ missing coolant reservoir cap

As title states, this is what I have. What i need to know is do I have or should expect PROBLEMS because of it? I don't THINK the reservoir tank is pressurized, and I cant find anything in the Haynes manual along these lines.
At operating pressure (15 p.s.i. I think), would/could coolant be pushed/blown out of the tank, resulting in a steady loss?
Just trying to head off any potential problems....Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-10, 08:19 AM
well, it depends.
toss haynes for this.

DOES YOUR EXPANSION CANISTER (COOLANT RESERVOIR) HAS THREADS WHERE THE CAP GOES, OR IT'S A SIMPLE FLANGE? as this determines everything. if it has threads, it is pressurized and lack of seal will not allow coolant to be sucked back into the radiator. this is what i have on my 00 Silverado. that is the only cap in the system.
if you have thermostat or radiator cap somewhere else, coolant reservoir is not pressurized and you can simply ductape it over to prevent spills.
coolants have significant expansion ratio. that's what the expansion reservoir is for.

Old 12-25-10, 09:13 AM
No threads on reservoir tank "lid"....is supposed to have just a press-on plastic cap. Radiator is fitted with pressure cap.

If I read your reply correctly...normal cooling system pressure should NOT cause coolant loss from an uncovered reservoir tank. That is good news. Junkyard trip is in the works for next week....

Old 12-25-10, 11:50 AM
yep. you got it. i wouldn't even bother for the cap. unless you want to sell the car and make it look nice. tape over the opening. as far as you keep coolant level between the marks on the canister, it should never even get close to the cap. so, spills will happen only during serious bounces.

Old 12-26-10, 05:11 PM
Thanky kindly..... Piece of mind is tuff to put a price tag on....

Old 12-27-10, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
I'd think about putting something over the hole just to keep the crap out - maybe saran wrap held on with a rubber band or the tape already suggested