How to find out if car stereo has aux jack on back???

Old 01-02-11, 11:09 PM
How to find out if car stereo has aux jack on back???

I have a 2000 Silverado. Stereo has a single cd player slot and no cassette deck. There is a button that has "cd aux" on it. That is the button that I push to go from radio to cd player. But since it also says "aux" on the button does that mean that there would be a aux jack on the back of the radio? I am wanting to connect and adapter so that I can plug my iPod into my stereo. I have read that a lot of the radio's just use generic fronts so just because there is a "cd aux" button it doesn't mean that there is an aux jack for sure. How can I find out? Or am I way off in the first place. Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-11, 05:52 AM
Chances are, if there isnt an AUX input jack on the front of the radio, then you probably dont have one. I say this becuase you only have one CD/AUX button. Even if there was an input on the back, you would have 2 buttons. Theres no way you the radio would let 2 inputs play at the same time. Your best bet would be to get an FM modulator for your iPod to play over a low range FM station.

Old 01-03-11, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator
Yes it probably has one. If you push the button and Aux lights on the display it is there. My pontiac had this and I put a 6 cd changer in the trunk. My S10 has this and I put a 6 cd changer in the console.

What model-make strereo? Do you have the manual in the glove box?I will find you some info.

Mike NJ

Old 01-03-11, 06:42 AM
I just did a search and it looks like an Ipod cannot be connected directly to the back of the stereo. There are kits for sale that look like a little white box. You connect this box to the back of the stereo (specifically a 2000 silverado stereo). You then connect the ipod to the box.
Reviewers like them and say they are simple and quick to install with common tools. I saw two brands...one cost about $110 and the other cost about $190.
I googled 2000 chevy silverado factory stereo and got the results. Good luck.

Old 01-03-11, 09:37 AM
thanks for the great info. I think this will be the best route. I am going to have to save up for this though but it looks worth it. I am temporarily going to get an FM transmitter. I can get one cheap off ebay. So far I have been comparing these brands. Belkin, DLO, and Griffin. I am finding that none are going to be great but the DLO has best reviews. Any opinion? And again thanks for the help.

Old 01-03-11, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
I have a Griffin (I think, rain and snow outside, so I'm not going to go check...lol) with 4 channels you can preset and a display and it works just fine. Of course I live in the boonies, so not many stations to interfere. Great for long drives but when we get closer to Vegas, Phoenix, or LA it can be a problem finding a clear freq.

Much would depend on your usage.

Old 01-03-11, 02:46 PM
lawrosa,
yeah, that looks like the other ones I saw. The box connects to the stereo, then the ipod connects to the box. No direct connection from ipod to jack on back of stereo.
Gunguy is right about interference from radio stations. My wireless unit (GE) has 4 radio settings..88.1, 88.3, 88.5, & 88.7. Around Indianapolis there are too many stations at or near those frequencies and the interference makes the unit almost unusable. My corded unit (Belkin) has the same settings but does a little better.

Old 01-03-11, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
I may not have been clear...
Mine has 4 presets..but you can change them or just scan and select what works. They aren't factory and unchangeable.