2003 Hyundai Elantra Headlight ASSEMBLY not bulb...

Old 01-03-11, 05:39 AM
Question 2003 Hyundai Elantra Headlight ASSEMBLY not bulb...

Unfortunately after 165,000 miles the clips that hold the low beam lights in, have broken due to them being changed so much. (The plastic that acts as the swivel is broke).

Anyway, I do MOST of my car work myself, that I can reasonably do, obviously without an engine lift I can't do the harder things.

However, now I need to replace my headlight assembly, the entire headlight casings that hold the bulbs for the front of the car.

It seems pretty simple, however I have the casings on order from RocKauto.com and would appreciate an explanation on how to do this.

I have a bad feeling I am going to have to remove the fender, is this true?

Also when I replace the assembly how does one adjust the pitch of the casing (so the headlight points down to the ground.) Or on the elantra is this fixed?

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-11, 05:45 AM
Group Moderator
I can't speak specifically to your car, but generally replacing a headlight assembly does not require removal of things as big as fenders. Often you have to remove front turn signal assemblies to access an attachment point, but other than that I think the bolts should be fairly accessible. Best to just wait on your new lights to see where the attaching points are. There will be an adjustment of some kind built in; may not be easy to se on the installed unit, but you should see it on the new one and be able to figure it out.

Old 01-03-11, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Just browsed my usual site for headlights and looks like yours has the turn signals as part of the assembly, so you wouldn't have a separate one to have to move. I see what looks like two attach points on the top; these should be visible on your currently installed one. It's possible it may have some lower attach points that are partially hidden by the front bumper cover. Bumper cover removal is not terribly difficult; sometimes tedious, though. If you're lucky it will have some kind of slip-in connector at the bottom and all you'll need to do is unbolt the top and lift up.

Old 01-03-11, 06:00 AM
okay thank you sir appreciate the response.

Old 01-03-11, 07:51 PM
well, you'll prolly have to remove at least bumper cover and tire well cover. there's always a bolt or two hidden there.
newer headlight assemblies come with adjustment fixtures in them. as far as you get everything back in place where the original one was, you should be very close to proper alignment.
next time buy from Certifit, ain't better priced place around.

Old 01-04-11, 06:12 AM
The third bolt is on the inside of the hood right behind the light housing, easy to get to with a long rod attachment to the ratchet, easy.

Especially since there is power steering fluid all over it to since I detached the wrong hose to flush the fluid and yeah it sprayed all over lol.

Hose inside bottle
"Okay hun turn the engine on.."
"Turn it off, turn it off!!!"

LOL

Old 01-04-11, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Been there, done that.

Old 01-04-11, 12:36 PM
Take a look at the Certifit dot com site.

I got a complete drivers side headlight assembly (housing, upper, lower lights, driving lights and turn signals) for my Jimmy for about $50 via internet. - Yours might be a similar price. I had it laying the back of my Jimmy when I had an oil changed and the shop owner saw it and assumed I needed it since it was the right model and the old assembly was fogged on the inside. He installed it for no charge because it only took a couple of minutes. I don't know if the Hyundai set up is similar, but it could be.

When I picked up the car, they asked why I went on line when there was a Certifit location 1/2 mile away that they use regularly.

It is worth checking. Many of those assemblies are just an unscrew and rescrew and plug in the harnesses. - Not like my Corvette where they had to remove the fender to install a new battery.

Dick

Old 01-04-11, 03:07 PM
nothing beats Certifit on price
nothing beats GM trucks on ease of light bulbs and headlight assemblies replacement. it's unbelievably easy.

Old 01-04-11, 03:34 PM
Right about the price and wish I knew they so close. GM wanted over $200.

I was afraid, but never had a chance to explore since my mechanic just put it as an incidental thing like topping off the washer fluid.

Dick