Tire plugs question

Old 01-05-11, 01:43 PM
C
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Tire plugs question

I carry tire repair plugs with me in the car, and use them to fix flats (mine, and whoever else needs a flat fixed). They come from the walmart for about $4 per package. Are these the same items used at tire repair places, if you asked them to fix a flat tire?

Thanks

Old 01-05-11, 01:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Yep

I can't count how many tires I've repaired this way

Some tire shops will tell you not to do this because a patch inside the tire is how they repair them and, of course, they would rather you pay for that than fix them yourself.

Old 01-05-11, 02:01 PM
C
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks, Mitch17

Thanks, Mitch- I'm not up to "countless" yet but I have repaired a few tires. My favorite is when I don't have to jack the car or remove the tire: just fix it in place.

Dave O

Old 01-05-11, 02:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Yeah, I take a lot of pride in that one as well

Old 01-05-11, 02:08 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
I carry plug patches in my truck. I think I'm on my third pack of refill plugs in the past 10 years. I have a bad habit of picking up nails and screws with my tires. It's not the money so much as it's a lot quicker to plug it on the spot and get on with my day.

Old 01-05-11, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I worked in the tire industry for some years. A high speed patch is the way to go with radial tires, The old bias plys always got the plug. Its your saftey.....

Mike NJ

Old 01-05-11, 03:52 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'll be a horn billed lizard, the LR tire on the Honda is losing several psi daily, I have a brand X kit in the "shop", someplace, I have used it, maybe once in 5 years.. A man simply finds the source of air leak and forces the latex "rope" in to the hole.
One time, this proved to be impossible, so I drilled a larger hole in the tire and inserted the patch material..

Old 01-05-11, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I BELIEVE most dealers and manufacturers will dis-allow any warranty claims for plugged radials except as emergency repairs. Or so I was told once.

Old 01-05-11, 07:08 PM
most of the time plugs will hold , but if they fail it can be spectatular, best used as a short term fix to get to a place for a patch to be applied.

murphy was an optimist

Old 01-05-11, 07:09 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
I carry plug patches in my truck. I think I'm on my third pack of refill plugs in the past 10 years. I have a bad habit of picking up nails and screws with my tires. It's not the money so much as it's a lot quicker to plug it on the spot and get on with my day.
from now, you karma has changed. you WILL NOT be picking up nails, screws, and other sharp objects that punch your tires.

Old 01-05-11, 07:12 PM
i was told by tire shop that NO ONE is vulcanizing tires any more. liability, or something. i tried, i could NOT buy anything for this. used to be available few years ago.

Old 01-06-11, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Vulcanizing and tire plugs are two totally different, unrelated things. Vulcanizing is combining sulfur and heat to rubber and is used when manufacturing tires. Tire plugs are inserted into small holes in the tire to repair the puncture.

Old 01-06-11, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
No question that patch on the inside is superior to a plug..... but you have to go to a tire store, wait on them to unmount the tire, patch it remount and balance - and then pay them. That said, I've never had any problems with plugs. When I was younger I used to buy my tires at the junkyard. I ran one such tire for a year or so and when I replaced it, we counted 28 plugs - I worked new construction, nails everywhere

Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
from now, you karma has changed. you WILL NOT be picking up nails, screws, and other sharp objects that punch your tires.
I had a helper back in the early 70's that bought a 1964 chevy/gmc truck. We were painting army barracks that were also be reroofed. 1st day on the job he had a flat tire and no jack so I loaned him mine. He came back the next day with the tire repaired and a jack. Everyday, he had a flat, so on payday he went and bought an extra tire/rim. He had the truck another yr or so and never had another flat tire.

Old 01-06-11, 06:51 PM
Vulcanizing and tire plugs are two totally different, unrelated things. Vulcanizing is combining sulfur and heat to rubber and is used when manufacturing tires. Tire plugs are inserted into small holes in the tire to repair the puncture.
original question was:

Are these the same items used at tire repair places, if you asked them to fix a flat tire?

my response was:
i was told by tire shop that NO ONE is vulcanizing tires any more.

so yes, those are the "same items".
sorry i came across as a dude that does not know difference between vulcanizing a hole, and plugging it.

Old 01-07-11, 05:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
ukrbyk: Since you say I do not know the difference between "vulcanizing a hole, and plugging it" perhaps you could explain how they are similar.

Old 01-07-11, 10:27 AM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
I inherited from my dad one of those pumps you put in the cigarette lighter. Always have that in my car and a several tire plugs. One wet cold dark night with no one around I had 2 rear flats ( a nail in each?). Plugged them and filled them with air and was on my way. Seems like everyone should have the plugs for an emergency? Dirt cheap and you get some piece of mind (but I guess itís too bad though if you have a sidewall puncture?)

Still, IMHO seems like a real good thing to have in the vehicle.

Old 01-11-11, 11:16 AM
K
One wise thing my dad taught me was not to pull a nail from a tire unless you are ready to change the tire then and there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: