Taurus misfire

Old 01-05-11, 04:01 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taurus misfire

It seems my Taurus is having this same problem. [Moderator's note: This thread was started as additional to thread http://forum.doityourself.com/automo...ers-1-3-a.html] Is this as easy thing to fix in your own garage or should I take it to a shop? If I fix at home, how much do you think it would cost? Just looking for a ballpark. According to the guy at Auto Zone that ran the diagnostic, it may be a problem caused when I had some engine work done recently.

...I hate this car

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-08-11 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-11, 04:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Two questions: What work was done recently and did they give you the codes that came up at Auto Zone?

Misfires are often simply caused by common preventive maintenance items - plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor. If any of these have a lot of miles on them they are a good place to start.

Old 01-06-11, 04:51 PM
K
The recent work: gaskets... head cylinder gasket, or something like that? And some other gasket that they didn't realize was bad til they replaced the first one. AutoZone didn't tell me the exact code but told me whatever came up meant cylinder 3 misfire. When I took it to my shop for them to check out tonight, they said the same thing. Spark plugs looked okay, they said. I'm going to take it back in tomorrow, because it turns out they think I may need crankshafts or something replaced in the lower half of the engine. They said it depends on how damaged things are, that they may be able to get away with wiping the shafts out with an emery towel if they aren't too badly damaged.

I hate this car. I wish someone would steal it and run it off a cliff or something! How can most of an engine go bad in a 7 year old car?! Shouldn't an engine last much longer than that?!

ETA: Forgot to mention, the shop said they didn't see any metallic residue in the oil, which they said is a good sign. Either way, they say don't drive it unless it's to and from their shop (which isn't even a mile away). I hope it's a tiny, quick fix that doesn't cost much considering I just sank $1000 into it three weeks ago!

Old 01-07-11, 03:24 PM
R
Originally Posted by k_rock View Post
The recent work: gaskets... head cylinder gasket, or something like that? And some other gasket that they didn't realize was bad til they replaced the first one. AutoZone didn't tell me the exact code but told me whatever came up meant cylinder 3 misfire. When I took it to my shop for them to check out tonight, they said the same thing. Spark plugs looked okay, they said. I'm going to take it back in tomorrow, because it turns out they think I may need crankshafts or something replaced in the lower half of the engine. They said it depends on how damaged things are, that they may be able to get away with wiping the shafts out with an emery towel if they aren't too badly damaged.

I hate this car. I wish someone would steal it and run it off a cliff or something! How can most of an engine go bad in a 7 year old car?! Shouldn't an engine last much longer than that?!

ETA: Forgot to mention, the shop said they didn't see any metallic residue in the oil, which they said is a good sign. Either way, they say don't drive it unless it's to and from their shop (which isn't even a mile away). I hope it's a tiny, quick fix that doesn't cost much considering I just sank $1000 into it three weeks ago!
sorry but car ownership is a gamble. I have an 2002 taurus with 182,000 miles and if ford fixed the spring failures I would have no money invested in this car repairs besides oil changes and such.

Old 01-07-11, 08:57 PM
They said it depends on how damaged things are, that they may be able to get away with wiping the shafts out with an emery towel if they aren't too badly damaged.

I think it's time to find another shop!!.. No one will get away with wiping anything with emery cloth, but they may charge you for it & when it fails, your on the hook again... Roger

Old 01-08-11, 03:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 42 Posts
Have to agree with hop; what they're suggesting is that you have a damaged bearing or bearing journal (the bearing surface on the crank) and that they propose to "fix" it by dressing it with emory cloth. Unlikely this is the problem unless it was bad enough to be hearing an audible bearing knock or noise. I would be inclined to ask for the exact mechanical explanation as to how that caused a misfire. On the other hand, if you had to have the head gaskets replaced there could have been sufficient water in the oil to cause some problems. Just curious, but what was going on before the work was done to lead you to believe it needed repair and I'm assuming this is the shop that did that repair?

At the very least I would be getting another opinion from a different shop. A tip when you do this; don't give the second shop any information beyond the misfire and you could also mention the head gasket. This will cause them to start the troubleshooting with a clean slate and you can wait to see if they mention anything bearing-related.

Are there some good independent shops in your area? If you're unsure, ask around with family and friends, that may get you a good one. That's not 100%, of course; I've heard people who swear by some garages that I wouldn't take a skateboard to for work, but it's better than yellow pages roulette.

As to the Taurus in general, not Ford's best effort although the later model ones were much better than the early-mid 90's ones which fairly often would blow head gasket or destroy tranny with as few as 40,000 miles on the odo. Of course professionally, I loved them.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 01-08-11 at 04:12 AM.