wiring break - brake light switch

Old 01-12-11, 06:56 PM
wiring break - brake light switch

Can anyone suggest the best way to repair the wiring? The black plastic plug connects to the prongs on one end of the truck's stoplight switch. I don't know the names of the plastic (harnesses?) so as to replace them, or how they are constructed, or if they can be taken apart and then reused, etc. Is there enough visible wire at both ends of the break to support an inline wire, if that is a valid alternative?

I know very little about mechanics, and have never fixed any electrical problems, so any detailed explanations--however obvious they might seem to you--would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-11, 07:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!! what is the matter with the connector, as you didn't say? Is the one wire broken on the right side? If so, it may pay to go to a parts store and pick up a brake light connector. Go ahead and cut the other wire and take it with you so they can duplicate it. Can you tell us why there is a jumper between the two wires? Basically the two red wires just go into the connector and the brake switch just makes a connection between them. That white wire, though, I'm not sure.

Old 01-13-11, 04:39 PM
wiring break

Is there any way to bridge the broken red wire from the wiring assembly to the (white jumper?), given the small stubs at both ends of the wire?
I visited 2 part stores, showed them photos of the broken wire and a photocopy of the black part (wiring assembly 14401), taken from the Ford manual. They didn't have the part, couldn't order it, nor did they have any idea what to do.
The 2 wrecking yards in the area don't have any 68-72 Ford trucks--all of which leads me to believe that I have to find a way to fix the parts that I have.

Old 01-13-11, 04:53 PM
OK, where the connector contacts its mating surface, use a thin probe and push in, releasing the brass plate that is connected to your wire. Once it is free, you will have more wire to work with. You may find soldering this stub to a new piece or wire or the old wire easier. Then reinsert it into the plastic, where it will click in place.
To be honest, any parts house worth their salt could have matched up the connectors with a match. I hate laziness. Almost all brake switches during the time of your truck used the same connectors (or close enough). Only two wires. In reality you don't need that conector. You can purchase individual connectors (slip on) and connect them to your wires and place them on your switch stubs. You can't wire it wrong, as all the switch does is short them together.
Need to know about the white wire before you go too far.
Still, you didn't answer why is the white jumper there?

Old 01-13-11, 06:43 PM
Wiring break

Chandler, Thanks for your help.
I don't know why there is a white jumper. I didn't even know it was a white jumper prior to your naming it. The truck is wired for a camper, perhaps it has something to do with the brake lights on the camper.
I've been hesitant to pry open any of the parts because, if I made them un-useable, I wasn't sure that I could replace them very easily.

In fact, I found another loose wire, which is 1/2 of a paired wire that runs underneath the bench towards the back of the truck. The other 1/2 is secured by a screw to the bottom of the fuse box. I haven't been able to trace it yet, but I suspect it has something to do with the trailer lights.

I found the loose wire after I inspected the fuses. I suspect the loose wire was twisted around one of them, because the bare wire was shaped in a hook that fit exactly around the fuses. I'm just conjecturing, however, I didn't notice the dangling wire until I returned to the truck some 30 minutes after pulling the fuses for inspection. I cannot find anything, within reach of the wire, that it could have been connected to--other than somewhere in the fuse box. A couple of the other fuses have wires connected to them. I didn't touch them.

Sorry about going on like this. I'm not sure what information to put in or leave out.

Old 01-15-11, 04:23 AM
OK, the jumper is there for a purpose and the red wire was cut for a purpose. So let's proceed from there. Plug the connector back into the brake switch and reconnect the crooked wire to the screw. It looks as if whoever wired it ran a brake light separate from the truck's original wiring. Let us know what happens when the wire is reconnected to the screw.
Aaah, brain in gear, now.......do you have a trailer brake module?

Old 01-16-11, 05:20 PM
As Chandler said, release the connector using a small flat object or a dental tool. The connector is held in by a tab that sticks up and allows it to go in but not pull back out. They aren't easy to get out, estecially you not knowing what is inside there.

Once you get it out you will find that it is crimped over the wire, I usually spread the crimp using a very small straight blade, insert the newly stripper wire, crip as best you can with a pair of needle nose, and then solder. You may need to bend the tab up a little since removing it sometimes bends it down, then reinsert it the same way that it came out, it will not work upside down.

If all else fails, hack off the connector and replace the whole thing with individual slide connectors. There is no reason that you HAVE TO reuse the connector. You can get the slide terminals insulated and available at any NAPA/Pep Boys/Advance Auto for next to nothing. You will need the extra wires that you have there for the trailer brake actuator.

Old 01-18-11, 01:39 PM
Wiring Break

Thanks, everyone. I haven't had time to work on the problem, but will in the next couple of days. I 'll let you know how it turns out.

Search this Thread