Turn Signal - 1996 Honda Civic

Old 01-13-11, 08:26 AM
Turn Signal - 1996 Honda Civic

My Honda '96 Civic had a problem with headlights not coming on when the weather got cold... I tracked the problem to the multi-switch. I bought a new one, installed it, and now the headlights work fine.

The problem is that the turn signals don't cancel automatically when the steering wheel is returned to straight. I don't hear any ratcheting when turning either right or left (but I also don't remember if I normally did before or not. -grin-).

Do you think I have a bad multi-switch or did I not reassemble it all correctly?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-11, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Well, it's possible you got a bad switch, but I think it's more likely you've made an assembly error. Been there done that.

Old 01-13-11, 01:28 PM
problem solved

I disassembled down to the combo-switch. There is a white plastic piece that goes around the steering column shaft and is notched to engage the back of the steering wheel... about 3" diameter and "butterfly shaped". This piece engages the tab that sticks out from the combo-switch. The whole piece had gotten pushed farther down the column so that it was past the tab. I pulled it out so that it is properly positioned. I reassembled everything, and it all works properly.

I did not see anything that will prevent it from potentially moving farther down the shaft again, but if it does, I think it will only affect the turn signal canceling.

Thoughts or concerns that I should check out?

Thanks!
Jim

Old 01-13-11, 03:13 PM
let me guess. a few drops of super glue strategically located to prevent switch from going down? if it sits on a tube, maybe few rounds of ductape just below it to lock it in place? to create a ridge?

Old 01-14-11, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
I would have thought there would have been a ridge or something to prevent that. I think I would leave it and see, but if it comes back ukrbyk's idea should do it. Maybe something a little less permanent than super glue, like some silicone rtv; although I suppose the likelihood of needing to remove it, unless it broke, would be pretty low.

Old 01-14-11, 04:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm sure there was some type of ridge or friction that held it in place... but things have a habit of wearing

Look at all the older vehicles that the plastic tab has either worn down or broke no longer allowing the turn signals to self cancel. My 76 ford 4x4 has that piece worn slap out, $80+ not including shipping. I can move the lever myself especially no more miles than I drive it each year