2000 Impala vibration in front when turning right????

Old 01-20-11, 04:32 AM
2000 Impala vibration in front when turning right????

I have a 2000 Impala, 3.8 V6, w/ ABS.

when making a right turn or just bearing to the right as if getting on or off a ramp on expressway, there is a vibration in the front but don't know where. The wheel bearing in on the drivers side was replaced about 2 yr. ago, the wheel bearing on the right side was replaced last week. The vibration can be felt through by foot it is not like the car is shaking but something is wrong. It can be felt when going 30mph or 70mph. It is worse when accelerating as the right turn is being made. Let off of the gas and it almost goes away. I can even feel it some on the interstate when just driving along as I accelerate getting on the highway but not much. It is mostly when turning right. It doesn't seem to happen when turning to the left. The boots on the CV joints are all good and there is no noticable noise coming from the front when this is happening either as I would expect if it was a CV joint. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you think it could be a CV joint, how can I check them if the boots are good?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-11, 06:48 AM
How many miles are on the vehicle?

I've had CV joints wear out on arear drive vehicle. But there never was a vibration, only clicking sounds when going very slowly. With mine, I found play in the joint when wiggled in a direction perpendicular to its axis. But I have heard others talk about a vibration with worn joints.

Why don't you switch your tires from left to right and see if the problem moves with the tires. This costs nothing.

Old 01-20-11, 12:27 PM
is that a front wheel drive? just speaking from not so many GM experiences, if it's front wheel drive, it's ur hub bearing. that's how they show themselves - shake in turns. i understand you had them replaced.
check bearings. lift front end up and wiggle front wheels with hands on 6 and 12. there should no play.
if that's not the case, do same with hands on 3 and 9. tierod ends.
of course, check on CV joint boots same time.
now that it shows itself in brake pedal, is interesting. inspect brakes in general, esp for overheating rotors.
otherwise, it might as well be ball joint.

Old 01-20-11, 03:39 PM
The car is front wheel drive. I can feel it through the accelerator pedal not the brake pedal. but I don't usually have my foot on the brake when I feel it. It isn't that it is coming throught the pedal so much maybe but I can feel it. I am a maintenance troubleshooter in a automated factory but not a car mechanic. I know how it is when you can just feel or tell something is wrong. the care has about 125K miles on it. The bearing on the left (drivers) side was replaced 2-3 years ago and the one on the right was replaced the other day. I guess it could be the one on the drivers side. I did do the 6 - 12 test and felt no play.

Old 01-20-11, 08:20 PM
well, 6/12 is safe proof test for hub bearings.

i quick checked pulsating gas pedal for you:

I just purchased from a dealer, a 2006 Trail Blazer, 4WD, LS w/ 4 speed automatic transmission. I feel a pulsation coming from the gas pedal. It happens when I'm going 68-70 mph, then back off to 60 mph, then slowly re-accelarate back to 62-65 mph. At that time there appears to be a shifting action taking place. I can feel this pulatation or vibration through the accelarator pedal. It is not a harsh feeling. You have to be travelling on a smooth highway in order to feel it but it is there and it hangs around for a bit. It does not just shift, then disappear. It actually feels like metal rubbing on metal. It does not sound normal.

I do have an appointment with a dealer tomorrow but would like to get a few thoughts from this group before I go up there.

Any insight on this condition would be appreciated.
Thanks

I did take my TB to the dealer. The pulsating that I felt in the gas pedal is the torque convertor as suggested by maxwedge. It's inherent in the system. I drove another 2006 that they has on the lot and felt the same thing. I can live with this. My concern was that the pulsating was the sign of a transmission problem; it is not

Figured out the cause for the gas pedal pulsating/vibrating.
In case anyone is also wondering, the reason for the gas pedal pulsating/vibrating is because my left front and left rear rims are bent (pictures attached).

several more had torque converter issue causing this.

but if it happens in turns only, i am more suspiscious of control arms, ball joints and yes, engine mounts. powertrain, actually, moves when you turn.

Old 01-21-11, 05:05 AM
I once had a fairly significant vibration problem with my wife's Saab. It would always occur during acceleration, but sometimes also when coasting and turning. It turned out to be a bad CV joint that was seizing up without the typical metalic sounds often heard, and I ended up having to replace both the half shaft and joint to correct it. If it is not a bearing problem or is transmission related, it could still be something regarding the half shaft/cv joint.

Old 01-22-11, 08:31 AM
I also should probably clerify that it is not a lunging of the gas pedal and that was probably a bad choice to discribe where I feel the vibration. I can feel it through the steering as well and I should have put that instead of the accelerator. Equinox sounds like he may be onto something.

Old 01-23-11, 07:05 AM
Group Moderator
Last time I had to do a CV (wife's Camry) it showed up as vibration similar to what equinox describes, most noticeable on freeway on-ramp acceleration. Could still be any or all of the mentioned items, but at 125,000 miles wouldn't hurt to do the shafts even if they are ultimately not the cause.