Stealing Keyless cars --- how to prevent

Old 01-21-11, 04:13 AM
Stealing Keyless cars --- how to prevent

I read an article on how car thieves are now using a set of two attenas to transmit the radio signal that is continuously be transmitted by the key fob to break into and steal cars that have push button starters .. In the article they say one way to protect the car is to shield the fob but go into no detail on how.

I'm not quite sure what they mean when they say "the only way to protect yourself is by shielding your key fobís radio with a guard." What kind of guard are they talking about?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-11, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure shielding the fob would have an effect based on your description of the operation. They're not sending a signal to the fob but rather to the computer in the car and of course if you shielded that it would disable it for you, too.

Old 01-21-11, 04:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't think the fob "sends" a signal itself, but just responds to a request from the car when it is in range. I have a friend who owns a Corvette and when he gets within 5 feet or so, it unlocks, mirrors, seats adjust, all without his intervention. So I think it is a proximity thingy.
With the millions of codes, I find it difficult to believe someone can send a singular signal to a car. He'd have to be there for days, and the code changes with each activation.

Old 01-21-11, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Would be a little like doing the same thing driving around trying to get a garage door opener to respond. Same problem, thousands of codes.

Glad our car doesn't have that Star Wars crap on it.

Old 01-21-11, 07:06 PM
HERE'S FUNNY THING THOUGH. IF YOU HAVE - LIKE I DO - A SMART KEY AND PUSH BUTTON CAR, AND YOU START ENGINE AND (oops, sorry for caps) need to leave the car and step away from it, with engine running - anyone can drive that car away, and it will run, until power button is pressed again. personally, on my hybrid, when you stop, engine shuts down, and there's no audible feedback that it's running. i have already left it running several times, when i stepped out to see my patients.

Old 01-21-11, 07:09 PM
I read that too and I've been wondering the same. Snopes says there is some truth to it. Hopefully linking that will be ok.

snopes.com: Code Grabbers and Remote Keyless Entry

I saw a phone cloth for your cell phone that blocks the signal from coming in when it's wrapped in this thing so maybe that would work for the keys. It's the phonekerchief or something.

Snopes says that car manufacturers are expected to start working to take care of the problem. I wonder what an aluminum foil pouch would do for it.

Old 01-22-11, 05:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Will2200, welcome to the forums! The Snopes article all but dashes the possibilities of the casual thief from "stealing" your code when you press the button. Specialized equipment is needed, and time is required (hours) to break the code, since it is rolling. By the time he breaks the code, you have rolled the code several times getting in and out of the car. If the thief has enough money to invest in the equipment, he doesn't need your GPS.
Why would I want a sock on my cell phone to keep a signal out?? I have hard enough time getting a signal to reach my phone. A cheaper way to keep signals out is to turn it off