Car won't start in wet weather

Old 01-23-11, 11:39 AM
Car won't start in wet weather

I have a 96 Cougar with a 4.6lt engine that won't start in wet weather. I have replaced the spark plug wires and both distributor coils. The car starts and runs fine when the road surfaces are dry. Could there be some other part(s) that are being effected by the moisture in the air?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-11, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator
Just a guess w/o knowing the type of ignition...you are getting condensation/moisture in the distributor cap or other component (coil, ignition module, computer) that is preventing firing.

Try it on a dark night with the hood up, when it wouldn't normally start...look for sparks/arcing.

Old 01-23-11, 02:03 PM
Probably distributorless with wires and 2 coil packs..........All that being new I'd be looking at crank sensor.......May need to scan when wet and in failure mode to see what is lacking

Old 01-23-11, 02:52 PM
"if' vehicle is equipped with a factory / dash mounted tachometer-look for the needle to be trying to move, while cranking(when it won't start)- if the tach is moving-the system is getting a crankshaft sensor signal.

on a dry day-try-take a spray bottle(like an old spray'n wash bottle) fill it with water-& mist the plug wires good & give it a try

Old 01-24-11, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will try some of your suggestions and let you know what happens. The temperature is going to be around the freezing point for the next few days so it'll be a perfect time to try your suggestions.

Old 01-27-11, 02:39 PM
The car has been starting with no problems. I guess the only solution is having it towed into a shop and have it scanned the next time it won't start.

Old 01-27-11, 04:50 PM
why don't you do 2 things:
1. read codes at any parts store
2. do diagnostic on it; it's only 50-60 bucks, but will save you from "I guess the only solution is having it towed into a shop and have it scanned the next time it won't start." from somewhere in boondocks.

Old 01-29-11, 01:41 AM
Check the ignition or sparks. See if water has somehow made its way in the battery or other electrical component. Check as well for any potential source of a short circuit.

Old 02-03-11, 10:38 AM
Hi and thanks again for the replies. Just letting you know that the car is now starting without any problems. I thinks after I changed the coils then wiped down all the spark plug wire connections I probably go rid of any moisture that was present. So I'm hoping thats what the was.

Old 02-03-11, 03:09 PM
stevegb
bad coil common problem