Re: Variable heat issue

Old 01-24-11, 04:43 PM

The car in question is a '95 Camry Wagon, 4 Cyl, 2.2L. When the car is parked with the engine running, the heater will produce adequate, not excellent warmth and the temperature guage indicator sits just shy of being smack dab in the middle of the temperature guage readout. When I begin driving stop and go as well as highway, the guage drops down drastically, nearing the "C" indicator and sometimes remains on "C." The temperature noticeably drops as well. If I park the car with the engine running, again, the temperature returns to a comfortable level. During this past summer, I replaced the radiator and condenser as a result of a front end collision.
Any ideas on what could be causing this abnormal cycle?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-11, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
Try the thermostat. Sounds like its stuck open.

Mike NJ

Old 01-24-11, 07:27 PM
Thanks Mike. I was thinking it might be that but wanted to make certain I wasn't overlooking anything simpler; somewhere I read about a trapped air bubble in the heating system.

Old 01-25-11, 07:43 AM

By the way, I haven't removed the thermostat yet. I was reading a Chilton manual which states to "align the jiggle valve with the protrusion on the thermostat housing." I bought a Murray Ultrastat from a local auto parts shop; no sign of a jiggle valve, although I have seen parts websites which state: "features a standard jiggle valve where required by OE," as well as "features self-cleaning and self-aligning thermostat valve." Is this a concern; does anyone know if this Murray Ultrastat is self cleaning/self-aligning?

Old 01-25-11, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
Sounds like just some kind of alignment pin, and you kind of jiggle it to get it to seat and align properly.....LOL

Could be....The OE probably have it and after markets are more universal and need to fit a broader range of cars.

Actually here is the instructions I found...

| Repair Guides | Engine Mechanical | Thermostat | AutoZone.com

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-25-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 08:10 AM
some of /possibly better quality - thermostats has a small valve like hole in the flange part of the assembly-if allows air to bleed past the thermostat.after assembly.this prevents an 'air lock' which causes an over heat condition at start up-before the thermostat opens- to burp the air out.

Old 01-25-11, 09:34 AM
ya it does sound like a thermostat being stuck open. when the car sits it can somewhat get warm being stuck open but then when you drive it, air passing through the radiator, and possibly the fans turning on cools it right back down so you'll lose heat.like the other guys said the purge valve can be a small hole or a hole with a little check ball in it that lifts off its seat when are needs to pas through. if you shake it and it rattles, look for that check ball

Old 01-27-11, 04:05 PM

Thanks to all who replied. I was able to find a thermostat with the so-called jiggle valve and am once again enjoying toasty cabin temps; engine happy as well.

Search this Thread