Why Anti-Freeze smell after driving more than 20 minutes or so?

Old 01-26-11, 10:13 AM
Why Anti-Freeze smell after driving more than 20 minutes or so?

Hi:
Subaru Outback 2000 with low-mileage/60,000 mileage

Recently, I smell 'Anti-Freeze' or 'Transmisstion' after drinving for more than 20 minutes or so. Also, there is a bit 'drip' under the hood whenever parking, but it's not bad at all.

One year ago, I needed a transmission re-build which costed me more than $3,000, and since then it runs really well.

Just wondering why anti-freeze smell after driving moe than 20 minutes or so?

Any clues on this would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-11, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have a drip or leak in the cooling system. It can be from a hose, from the weep hole of the water pump, heater core or head gaskets.

Old 01-26-11, 04:57 PM
it takes about that long for the system to truly warm up and all the fluids circulate through heater core and HVAC car system. like chandler said - you have leak somewhere.

what is confusing is that you smell transmission. first time i ever heard of anything of this nature. also, there's a huge difference between ATF and coolant. what you need to do is to determine what exactly drips under the car. slide a clean cardboard underneath overnight. that works well as a gauge for determining what exactly drips down.

also, take a good flashlight and shine line anywhere around hoses, water pump, and where heater core outlets come out of the firewall. minor coolant sippage does not drip down, but evaporates right away and crystallizes. you may notice a colored "beard" in those areas. like this here:

Old 01-26-11, 05:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try tracing a drip on a Volvo S80 twin turbo T6! I got one and finally found it. I believe the engine may have to come out or be partially disassembled to correct that funky little hose. My fat fingers won't get to it, much less a tool.

Old 01-26-11, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Try tracing a drip on a Volvo S80 twin turbo T6! I got one and finally found it. I believe the engine may have to come out or be partially disassembled to correct that funky little hose. My fat fingers won't get to it, much less a tool.
well, sorry for hijacking the thread... one night, i somehow managed to get myself into a volvo forum. after a quick glance at that place, i found that EVERYTHING on volvos is done THE VOLVO WAY OR THE HWY, and EVERYTHING requires a SPECIAL TOOL. and those start at about $300 as a base price.
ever since, i told myself - they can give it to me for free and offer few thousand cash back with it, and i'll pass. same goes for them German cars. i am very seriously considering getting meself a 95 or 96 civic with newer engine. made in Japan in GOOD TIMES. ain't nothing better.

Search this Thread