Low tires alert

Old 01-31-11, 09:50 AM
Low tires alert

I have a 2008 chevy impala that doesn't alert when tires are low, how can i fix this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-11, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator
How low was a tire that led you to suspect a problem? As I understand, some of these systems may not show a low pressure alert until the tires get way down like 10-15 lbs or more. I don't think any of then show 3-4 lb low as an issue.

Did you get new tires or have any work done requiring tire removal? Driving in ice or snow?

Old 01-31-11, 11:46 AM
As I learned from a recent visit to the tire store for new rubber on my Ford Explorer, Chevy's have the tire pressure transducer in the valve stem covers. If you have ever replaced any of them with an off the shelf valve stem cap, that could be why.

As for how I came to learn this, I told the shop manager I wanted new chrome valve stem covers all around. My Explorer was parked behind a Chevy SUV, and when the shop manager looked out the window, he zeroed in on the wrong vehicle and gave me an explanation about why I couldn't use their valve caps on a Chevrolet. I adjusted his aim and got my chrome caps.

Old 01-31-11, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
As I understand, some of these systems may not show a low pressure alert until the tires get way down like 10-15 lbs or more. I don't think any of then show 3-4 lb low as an issue.

That's what I thought but my 2010 jeep sets the tire light off with just a 2-3 psi pressure drop

Old 01-31-11, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Well..yer's IS newer Mark...and a different brand. Guess we have to get a few answers to the questions...