chevy venture intake gasket

Old 01-31-11, 06:30 PM
chevy venture intake gasket

Just looking for some iut on this. I have heard all the horror stories about GM and the dexcool problems. We have a 2002 chevy venture with 83,000 miles. Had it to the garage about a year and a half ago for brakes and had them at the time check because we smell a faint smell of coolant after the engine has been warmed up. sometimes you smell it and sometimes you don't. They advised it was the intake manifold gasket leaking a bit. Since then we have put about 10,000 miles on it with no issues. The temps are good all the time, the only time I see a big issue is in the dead of summer when it is real hot the temp creeps up a bit but as soon as the fans kick on the temp drops. Anyways the coolant level never drops much as I have only put maybe a quart in in it he last year and a half and the oil looks fine with no contamination. Now the question. We have bought a pop up trailer and plan on possibly pulling it with the van this summer and I probably should get the gasket changed before we pull. MY concern is that I have heard horror stories about the IMG being replaced and then the head gasket goes. I hate to spend $500 on the repair and then have the head gasket go. I only need to get about another year or about 10,000 miles out of this before it is paid off and I can get rid of. If anyone can comment on if it is worth it to replace these IMG's and any concerns with what could happen afetr the change. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 09:40 AM
? is this the same vehicle you want to set up to pull a trailer?

Old 02-01-11, 10:16 AM
yes it is.I am weighing all the options including getting another vehicle. However, financially it may be worth it more to change the gasket and and update for pulling and use it for another year or two than by a different one right now. Other than this gasket the vehicle has run fine.

Old 02-01-11, 01:25 PM
If you have a good mechanic that uses a Torque Wrench to put things together & does NOT use a Scotch brite pad on a die grinder to grind the old gasket off, you should be fine replacing the intake gasket.. Just make sure no one uses a die grinder to clean any gasket surface.... Roger