2005 Subaru Forester Catalytic Converter Failure?

Old 02-02-11, 05:13 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2005 Subaru Forester Catalytic Converter Failure?

I have a 2005 Forester with 94500 miles on it.

Last summer I started to get a brief misfire on it. The car has always been a tad tempermental when it was really wet outside. Anyway, due to lots of work from home, lots of time for the car sitting in airport parking lots, it was not being driven much. The car would start fine, then misfire a bit, CE light comes on, which means no cruise control etc. I finally took the car into the shop in Nov for the diagnosis. It was a misfire on 2 cylinders (4 cyl motor) and also a catalyst failure.

The shop replaced the wires and plugs, reset the codes and away I went. All was well for about a mile, then sure enough the CE light comes on, no missfire. I went back to the shop for a quick scan, sure enough, Catalyst failure. The mechanic said that it may take up to 1000 miles of driving before I can clean out the converter and get away from these failures. That was back around 92500 miles. So, almost 2000 miles later, I still get the same code.

I have noticed that if I drive 60+ for several hours, I will not get a CE light until I slow down to 30-40 mph. If I drive around locally, between 30 and 60 mph, I will get a CE light in about 40-50 miles.

Curious if anyone else has ever come across such a thing, and if it really sounds like my converter is shot.

Honestly, a 6 year old car, approaching 100000 miles, a tune-up and a new converter is not a bad price to pay, but it does seem like a short life span for a converter.

Old 02-02-11, 06:37 PM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
honestly, it's a subaru and should run and run.

there's the thing about unburnt hydrocarbons with "frugal" driving style. basically, if one really tries to get good mpg and barely touches that gas pedal, exhaust can stay sort of "cold" and crap builds up here and there. you car sitting more than driving=similar situation.

sort of goes along what you said - no issues at high speeds, read - hot exhaust.

here's my suggestion. buy yourself 2 cans of seafoam and a suitable funnel, find a gas station somewhere next to freeway on-ramp, pour both cans into gas tank and flush 'm down with gas, topping the tank. then, go on freeway and drive like hell for maybe 2 hrs. point of the exercise is to get your exhaust system blown threw with hor exhaust and seafoam.

Old 02-03-11, 04:18 PM
H
Interesting

THat is an interesting thought.

I may have to try it.

Old 02-04-11, 10:59 AM
Received 62 Upvotes on 53 Posts
well, i have been using seafoam ever since was introduced to it back in 2001 in AL. never regretted.
will cost you 20 bucks and maybe speeding ticket, but, at least, it's fun to do.

Old 02-04-11, 11:39 AM
H
Ok, so which variety of seafoam do use?

Also, what do you consider driving like Hell? Our highway limit is 65, so I can usually get away with about 75.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: