Antifreeze Pouring out

Old 02-03-11, 06:04 PM
Antifreeze Pouring out

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar Van, 3.8L engine

I first noticed a problem when I seen a puddle of antifreeze in the snow. I popped the hood and noticed the hose leading to the radiator had a slight leak, I tightened the clamp on the hose. After tightening it, the hose didn't seem to leak anymore. So I added some more antifreeze to the reservoir. As I was adding the antifreeze, I could hear a sound as if it was pouring out as I put it in. So I looked under the van and noticed it did indeed come out. I am not sure what could be wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-11, 04:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully it is something simple. Be very careful tightening up clamps on today's radiators. Most of them are plastic (go figure), and overtightening the fittings can break a neck. You'll just about have to crawl under to see where it is coming from. Hopefully it is from another hose. Worst case scenario you have a cracked block or a freeze plug has given way. If you had antifreeze in proper mixture proportions in it, it is highly unlikely the latter two took place. I would go ahead and purchase an upper and lower hose and change them out, anyway, unless your investigation proves otherwise.

Old 02-04-11, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Had the same symptoms with a failed water pump once

Old 02-04-11, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by mastergamer View Post
So I added some more antifreeze to the reservoir. As I was adding the antifreeze, I could hear a sound as if it was pouring out as I put it in.
what's new. cracked expansion canister, or what you call reservoir. usually cracks along the lower bolt attachment. also, if you have level sensor in it, can leak around bad seal.

once again, my infamous Taurus had that too. i simply used jb weld on it, to seal the crack, and it lasted till i rid of that sucker.