automatic transaxle filter

Old 02-08-11, 06:45 AM

Help

i have a 2003 mitsubishi galant with a automatic transmission and a 2.4l sohc motor.

i am performing 100,000 maint and was going to replace automatic transaxle filter when the trouble started.

first, the manual says that my model has a spin on filter located next to dipstick on top of the motor. okay, except that there is no filter there. the housing is there but it is not threaded to receive any filter.

so i go to the parts store and they say for this transaxle the filter is under the transaxle pan. okay the manual shows this rectangular shaped filter but the pans all face downwards. my pan faces forward towards the front of the car.

i remove the pan anyway and there is no filter in sight. also the filter kit given to me by the parts store has the wrong size gasket and the instructions show the pan facing down.

is it possible that there is no serviceable filter on this car? can the auto parts guy and the manuals all be wrong?

the dealer insists that there is a filter despite all of the above. his recommendation is to bring the car in for service.

please somebody help me.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
the manual says that my model has a spin on filter located next to dipstick on top of the motor. okay, except that there is no filter there. the housing is there but it is not threaded to receive any filter
Like the Kia,s the Mitsubishi may have one or the other oil filters(for engine oil). Your manual says screws from the top. This is the cartridge type filter. If you look on other pages in the manual it should show a screw on type oil filter. These are found behind the passenger side front wheel. You need to remove some wheel well bolts to access.

is it possible that there is no serviceable filter on this car? can the auto parts guy and the manuals all be wrong?
Your trans filter is there. Looks like this. 03 2003 Mitsubishi Galant Automatic Transmission Filter Kit - Transmission - Beck Arnley - PartsGeek
Are you sure you removed the tranny pan and not the engine oil pan?

I know you want to DIY but when someone does not know where and what things are and starts removing pans looking for replacment parts I feel you may be over your head.

Mike NJ

Old 02-08-11, 07:15 AM

thanks for the quick reply.

i can email you pics of the situation. ( dont know how to post online ).

yes i know that the parts catalogs say that this is one of the types of filters for this model except that it mounts on a downward facing pan. this is the type of filter that i purchased when i realized that i had no spin on type. however, my AT pan is mounted to the front of the transaxle facing forward. different bolt pattern and size of gasket in kit.

and yes, i know the difference between a motor and transaxle.

thanks

ken

Old 02-08-11, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
Take pics and post to a place like photobucket. Its free. Then post the link back here.

Mike NJ

Old 02-08-11, 08:11 AM
The transmission filter is usually accessed by first removing the transmission pan, which faces upward, so that it can act as a reservoir for transmission fluid. After removing the pan you will see the filter attached to the bottom of the transmission. The filter is usually a flat piece, and not a round cylinder like an engine oil filter. Check out this video, it shows the guy replacing the filter after he has already removed the pan:
YouTube - How to Change Transmission Fluid : How to Install Transmission Fluid Filter

If the link I attached doesn't work, go to You Tube and look at the series of videos from expertvillage on how to change transmission fluid.

Also, be sure you are looking at the transmission pan and not the engine oil pan--it could explain why the gasket is the wrong shape.

Old 02-08-11, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well....just to throw in...Autozone says a spin on "if so equipped" so maybe yours isn't. The other thing it says is "internal filter non-serviceable, requires disassembly of transmission housing." Don't know whether that's as simple as dropping the pan. I know, not the best source of info...

Old 02-08-11, 09:58 AM
Lightbulb transaxle pics

here is a link to the pics of my transaxle.

Pictures by lokahir - Photobucket

thanks vic for the heads up on the autozone. i checked it out and it was reassuring that i may not be losing my mind.

let me know what you think everyone

thanks

ken

it must be a burden to know everything

Old 02-08-11, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator
3 different part #'s

Notes: This filter is not replaceable during normal maintenance. Replacement of this filter requires removal and disassembly of the transmission.

Unless you have the spin on type put the car back together.

Mike NJ