just had ignition coils changed . Did i get hosed?

Old 02-08-11, 03:16 PM
just had ignition coils changed . Did i get hosed?

Alright, my 03 nav was really running lousy (i barely made it to the shop). mechanic said some bad coils and i should change all 8. well here is the bill. after looking at parts on internet, i think i could have gotten parts for half the price! also after researching, it seemed like a pretty simple job..4.50 hrs?!?!
What do you think about price?
Parts:
airfilter 17.38
fuel filter 21.50
8 plugs 48
8 coils 787
labor:
4.5= 525

total: about 1400 plus tax=

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-11, 04:18 PM
when was the last time 'you' changed the plugs in a navigator?

Old 02-08-11, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
when was the last time 'you' changed the plugs in a navigator?
I have had it since 06 and never changed the plugs...has 122k miles..not sure if guy did before me

Old 02-08-11, 08:51 PM
Not the easiest job to do. I would rather run down my street naked in the middle of winter than change plugs on the modular engines in ford products. yes you certainly could have gotten the parts cheaper, but could you have changed them yourself? You may also have changed quite a few parts before stumbling across the ones that cause your running problems. The shop you took your nav to is there for 2 reasons, to provide a service, and to make money, mostly to make money. They have to buy the parts from someplace, and they made a few bucks on the parts they bought. The labor time is a little high, unless he had diagnostic time involved which I assume there was since you took it in because it was running bad. If I had something similar with a few bad coils, and they where not the easiest to replace, I would have recommended to replace them all along with the plugs while doing the work. It does 2 things, saves me from having to do the job twice or more, and stops an angry customer a week or 2 later when one of the old items quits after just having the vehicle serviced for the same problem.

Old 02-09-11, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by birch View Post
Alright, my 03 nav was really running lousy (i barely made it to the shop). mechanic said some bad coils and i should change all 8. well here is the bill. after looking at parts on internet, i think i could have gotten parts for half the price! also after researching, it seemed like a pretty simple job..4.50 hrs?!?!
What do you think about price?
Parts:
airfilter 17.38
fuel filter 21.50
8 plugs 48
8 coils 787
labor:
4.5= 525

total: about 1400 plus tax=
This post doesn't seem to belong on a "Do It Yourself" forum,

It probably should have been posted on a "Took It To The Dealer, Did I Get Screwed" website .....

Sounds like you let routine maintenance slip until the vehicle was rendered almost useless. $1400 /9yrs is only ~ $150/yr. Not too bad.

Old 02-09-11, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
This post doesn't seem to belong on a "Do It Yourself" forum,

It probably should have been posted on a "Took It To The Dealer, Did I Get Screwed" website .....

Sounds like you let routine maintenance slip until the vehicle was rendered almost useless. $1400 /9yrs is only ~ $150/yr. Not too bad.
Not sure who pissed in your cheerios, but i only asked a simple question about repair cost which you did not answer. let me know where the above stated forum is and i will try there...oh and thanks for the math lesson

Old 02-10-11, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cheerios aside, the parts were excessive, but that's where they make their money. Most won't install your purchased parts, because you cut into their profit margin.
I have found a diesel mechanic that I use exclusively on my truck. He is fair and doesn't care (really prefers) if I bring the parts to him. I needed a new VP444 injector pump on the Cummins. They cost $1400 normally. I found one in Arkansas for $950. I watched the videos and came to the conclusion I wasn't building a rocket, so I could do it. Well, I got to figuring....snow, rain, cold, outside....check with my mechanic. He looked in his book and it showed 5 hours ($325). BINGO!
Yeah, I could have done it. But I got a running truck, guaranteed and stayed warm.
Did you get hosed??? Yes and no. You got a running truck back for a good amortization.

Old 02-10-11, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Okay, boys, let's keep it civil [not you, chandler; I know you're civil].

Old 02-10-11, 06:35 AM
If you would have needed 8 coils the engine wouldn't even start. Coils are pretty much either working or they're not.

Old 02-10-11, 02:11 PM
guys--Thanks for the replies...i do trust this guy and i understand people need to make $. my issue was that other than finding prices for parts, it is tough to find out what a service should cost. i was hoping you guys would help put my mind at ease i spoke with the mechanic yesterday and he said he only uses O.E. parts and that is why they were more expensive. it sounds right to me. The truck was barely running so i couldnt price shop. i have not spent much on my truck and it runs beautifully now.

Jeggs--i was told that 4 were bad and it made sense to change all 8 instead of returning again later!

Old 02-10-11, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by birch View Post
guys--Thanks for the replies...i do trust this guy and i understand people need to make $. my issue was that other than finding prices for parts, it is tough to find out what a service should cost. i was hoping you guys would help put my mind at ease i spoke with the mechanic yesterday and he said he only uses O.E. parts and that is why they were more expensive. it sounds right to me. The truck was barely running so i couldnt price shop. i have not spent much on my truck and it runs beautifully now.

Jeggs--i was told that 4 were bad and it made sense to change all 8 instead of returning again later!
Like you said, people need to make money.

Old 02-12-11, 05:11 PM
I don't have a problem with the cost of the parts because you bought them from your shop, a retail outlet. Your shop isn't in the wholesale business. The labor hours seem about right too. I can't judge the hourly rate, it is different all over and being in NY, I would expect it to be high.

Old 02-15-11, 06:08 PM
LOL you got taken. Looks like the mechanic threw all the parts he could at it and you bought it. Did you have a check engine light for a misfire on cylinder #x. If not then your coils were probably ok. Also if you did then 1 cylinder would need a coil, plug, wire. LOL 8 coil packs at once LOL I don't think I could live with myself if pulled that on someone in the shop. Thats pretty low. I would have said this one failed we can fix it but if your paranoid we can replace them all for thousand dollars.

Old 02-16-11, 02:47 AM
Amen...............................................