just had ignition coils changed . Did i get hosed?

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-08-11, 03:16 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 229
just had ignition coils changed . Did i get hosed?

Alright, my 03 nav was really running lousy (i barely made it to the shop). mechanic said some bad coils and i should change all 8. well here is the bill. after looking at parts on internet, i think i could have gotten parts for half the price! also after researching, it seemed like a pretty simple job..4.50 hrs?!?!
What do you think about price?
Parts:
airfilter 17.38
fuel filter 21.50
8 plugs 48
8 coils 787
labor:
4.5= 525

total: about 1400 plus tax=
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-08-11, 04:18 PM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: santa fe /texas
Posts: 998
when was the last time 'you' changed the plugs in a navigator?
 
  #3  
Old 02-08-11, 04:23 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by newtofta View Post
when was the last time 'you' changed the plugs in a navigator?
I have had it since 06 and never changed the plugs...has 122k miles..not sure if guy did before me
 
  #4  
Old 02-08-11, 08:51 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Not the easiest job to do. I would rather run down my street naked in the middle of winter than change plugs on the modular engines in ford products. yes you certainly could have gotten the parts cheaper, but could you have changed them yourself? You may also have changed quite a few parts before stumbling across the ones that cause your running problems. The shop you took your nav to is there for 2 reasons, to provide a service, and to make money, mostly to make money. They have to buy the parts from someplace, and they made a few bucks on the parts they bought. The labor time is a little high, unless he had diagnostic time involved which I assume there was since you took it in because it was running bad. If I had something similar with a few bad coils, and they where not the easiest to replace, I would have recommended to replace them all along with the plugs while doing the work. It does 2 things, saves me from having to do the job twice or more, and stops an angry customer a week or 2 later when one of the old items quits after just having the vehicle serviced for the same problem.
 
  #5  
Old 02-09-11, 07:28 AM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada (near The Motor City)
Posts: 590
Originally Posted by birch View Post
Alright, my 03 nav was really running lousy (i barely made it to the shop). mechanic said some bad coils and i should change all 8. well here is the bill. after looking at parts on internet, i think i could have gotten parts for half the price! also after researching, it seemed like a pretty simple job..4.50 hrs?!?!
What do you think about price?
Parts:
airfilter 17.38
fuel filter 21.50
8 plugs 48
8 coils 787
labor:
4.5= 525

total: about 1400 plus tax=
This post doesn't seem to belong on a "Do It Yourself" forum,

It probably should have been posted on a "Took It To The Dealer, Did I Get Screwed" website .....

Sounds like you let routine maintenance slip until the vehicle was rendered almost useless. $1400 /9yrs is only ~ $150/yr. Not too bad.
 
  #6  
Old 02-09-11, 06:36 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 229
Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
This post doesn't seem to belong on a "Do It Yourself" forum,

It probably should have been posted on a "Took It To The Dealer, Did I Get Screwed" website .....

Sounds like you let routine maintenance slip until the vehicle was rendered almost useless. $1400 /9yrs is only ~ $150/yr. Not too bad.
Not sure who pissed in your cheerios, but i only asked a simple question about repair cost which you did not answer. let me know where the above stated forum is and i will try there...oh and thanks for the math lesson
 
  #7  
Old 02-10-11, 05:34 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,968
Cheerios aside, the parts were excessive, but that's where they make their money. Most won't install your purchased parts, because you cut into their profit margin.
I have found a diesel mechanic that I use exclusively on my truck. He is fair and doesn't care (really prefers) if I bring the parts to him. I needed a new VP444 injector pump on the Cummins. They cost $1400 normally. I found one in Arkansas for $950. I watched the videos and came to the conclusion I wasn't building a rocket, so I could do it. Well, I got to figuring....snow, rain, cold, outside....check with my mechanic. He looked in his book and it showed 5 hours ($325). BINGO!
Yeah, I could have done it. But I got a running truck, guaranteed and stayed warm.
Did you get hosed??? Yes and no. You got a running truck back for a good amortization.
 
  #8  
Old 02-10-11, 05:51 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,518
Okay, boys, let's keep it civil [not you, chandler; I know you're civil].
 
  #9  
Old 02-10-11, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US
Posts: 136
If you would have needed 8 coils the engine wouldn't even start. Coils are pretty much either working or they're not.
 
  #10  
Old 02-10-11, 02:11 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2002
Location: ny
Posts: 229
guys--Thanks for the replies...i do trust this guy and i understand people need to make $. my issue was that other than finding prices for parts, it is tough to find out what a service should cost. i was hoping you guys would help put my mind at ease i spoke with the mechanic yesterday and he said he only uses O.E. parts and that is why they were more expensive. it sounds right to me. The truck was barely running so i couldnt price shop. i have not spent much on my truck and it runs beautifully now.

Jeggs--i was told that 4 were bad and it made sense to change all 8 instead of returning again later!
 
  #11  
Old 02-10-11, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by birch View Post
guys--Thanks for the replies...i do trust this guy and i understand people need to make $. my issue was that other than finding prices for parts, it is tough to find out what a service should cost. i was hoping you guys would help put my mind at ease i spoke with the mechanic yesterday and he said he only uses O.E. parts and that is why they were more expensive. it sounds right to me. The truck was barely running so i couldnt price shop. i have not spent much on my truck and it runs beautifully now.

Jeggs--i was told that 4 were bad and it made sense to change all 8 instead of returning again later!
Like you said, people need to make money.
 
  #12  
Old 02-12-11, 05:11 PM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 9,205
I don't have a problem with the cost of the parts because you bought them from your shop, a retail outlet. Your shop isn't in the wholesale business. The labor hours seem about right too. I can't judge the hourly rate, it is different all over and being in NY, I would expect it to be high.
 
  #13  
Old 02-15-11, 06:08 PM
Member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: usa
Posts: 64
LOL you got taken. Looks like the mechanic threw all the parts he could at it and you bought it. Did you have a check engine light for a misfire on cylinder #x. If not then your coils were probably ok. Also if you did then 1 cylinder would need a coil, plug, wire. LOL 8 coil packs at once LOL I don't think I could live with myself if pulled that on someone in the shop. Thats pretty low. I would have said this one failed we can fix it but if your paranoid we can replace them all for thousand dollars.
 
  #14  
Old 02-16-11, 02:47 AM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Floriduhhhhh Us of A
Posts: 611
Amen...............................................
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'