water in floor

Old 02-09-11, 03:38 PM
water in floor

Got the wife a 2005 chrysler 300 about 3 week ago and found water in floor other day . How to find leak?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-11, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What does it smell like? Antifreeze (very distinct smell)? Is it on the slanted part of the floorboard or back toward the flat part. Quite often if on the passenger side it could be the heater core leaking. BUT, the A/C purge tube could be stopped up and can allow condensate to back up into the cab. The purge tube is located in different places on different cars, but generally along the center of the firewall. It is rubber with a flat "nipple" type end to it.

Old 02-10-11, 07:50 PM
No Antifreeze , its clear water and to cold for a/c

Old 02-11-11, 09:19 AM
Monitor your fluid levels more closely than usual.
During the winter, the AC operates during the defrost mode in many cars.
Cleaning the AC drain is part of regular service, if well positioned, this takes 10 seconds.
Also check your plenum drain.
Do windshield openings or seals still leak ?

Old 02-11-11, 05:44 PM
rj, where exactly was water? be very specific. most i have seen are in the corners below the dashboard.

Old 02-14-11, 06:17 PM
front LH and RH side after rain or wash

Old 02-14-11, 08:06 PM
rj, hate to be a pest. right and left hand sides of what?
lift floor mats and get down to carpet. is it wet right underneath pillars A on either side? those are pillars that hold windshield in place. pillars B are door jam shoulder level, pillars C are rear door/rear window ones.

if it's in those standard areas, you have leaking windshield seal. can leak anywhere, then it spreads down and drips along pillars A. for some reason, majority i have seen is pass side. the only real fix is to remove and reseal windshield.

Old 02-15-11, 07:26 PM
I have moon roof could be drains leaking,But how do you check them and were to the drains come out at?

Old 02-16-11, 05:31 AM
Group Moderator
Generally they drain through the "b" pillars on either side which would be too far back to dampen the front mats.

Old 02-16-11, 08:19 AM
If it is mild enough where you live to use a hose, I would suggest that you pull back the carpet/underpadding on both sides, and pour water at first on the lower edge of the windshield and check for leaks. If nothing is obvious move the hose up along both A pillars and again check. If still nothing obvious coming through move to the top edge.

It sounds more and more like water is seeping somewhere around the glass opening where sealant may have been insufficiently or incorrectly applied in the past perhaps if the windshield was replaced prior to your purchase. Did you purchase privately, or from a dealer and do you know if there was also any history of accident damage on the vehicle which often is but not always shown on reports like those from Car Fax. There could also have been a recent windshield replacement due of course to routine stone damage.

Old 02-16-11, 06:41 PM
called dealer and send a lettler to them and the dealer call and said that they would fix it for free but I asked that they also replace carpet for mold that i can star to smell. They didn't say yes or no on that yet