Battery died now Suburban won't turn over

Old 02-09-11, 06:31 PM
Battery died now Suburban won't turn over

OK. If this is question is too out of line, please let me know.

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban with a 350 and AT. The other day, I left my dome light on overnight and the battery went completely dead. I put the charger on and brought the battery up to par. NOW, when I put the key in the ignition and turn it, the horn goes crazy and the starter is disabled. I do not have a key fob for keyless entry or panic alarm (didn't come with one). My questions are:

What happened to set the alarm of because my video surveillance shows absolutely no activity in the area?

Which black box controls the security system?

I would really really like to get this resolved without spending a bunch of money but how would I go about getting a key fob? could I just get another FOB for a 1999 suburban and train it? will that enable the starter?

I am aware that people are hesitant to share info on the security system, but I have no other ideas.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-11, 07:53 PM
ok, your question is out of line.

psych... you good. you drained your battery completely, now your BCM, body control module, thinks car is being stolen. i have 2000 silverado, which is basically same car. key is not chipped, so most likely it simply went nuts due to lack of power supply.

there's something else that drains your battery, btw. those batteries are very large and dome light should not drain it even in few days. or, it was not fully charged, then you need to scope for loose serpentine belt, bad alternator, oxydized battery cables connections. the usual.

hmmm... go to library, find book for your car, and locate security or BCM fuses. try pulling them out and see what happens. otherwise, i am afraid, you'll have to have all this reset by either dealer or a knowledgeable guy with proper tools that can come over. on my key with fob, it's easier, i simply do key reset procedure. if you have straight mechanical key only, someone needs to talk some sense into your BCM. those are very temperamental on GM cars.

Old 02-09-11, 08:01 PM
yes, there is key learn procedure. but they went for large lengthes to make sure that key for car A will not work for car B same model. rolling codes etc.

maybe this will work:

If you replace the battery in your Chevy Suburban's keyless remote, you may need to resynchronize the remote to the vehicle. This is also known as reprogramming the remote. On the Suburban, you can perform this action through the vehicle's driver-information center, located in the speedometer case. Resyncing a remote, after replacing the battery, takes less than five minutes.
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Instructions

1. Place your Suburban in "Park" and leave the engine running.
2. Press the "Trip" stem on the speedometer. As you press it, you'll notice that the odometer display changes. Continue pressing "Trip" until "Relearn Remote Key" appears.
3. Press and hold "Trip" while "Relearn Remote Key" is displayed. Hold the stem for three seconds. "Remote Key Learning Active" will appear on the display.
4. Push "Lock" and "Unlock" simultaneously on the remote. Hold the buttons for 15 seconds or until you hear a chime. Once you hear the chime, the remote is resynchronized. Turn the engine off.

Read more: How Do I Resync the Key Remote After Changing the Battery for a Chevy Suburban? | eHow.com How Do I Resync the Key Remote After Changing the Battery for a Chevy Suburban? | eHow.com

or this:

# Close all the vehicle doors.

Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder - do not turn ignition switch.
#
Press and hold the DOOR unlock switch (This is the switch on the door, NOT the remote).
#
While holding the DOOR lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
#
Release the DOOR unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock one time to confirm the program mode is activated.
#
Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button on one keyless remote for approximately 15 seconds, the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
#
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
#
Turn the ignition switch to the ON (one more click forward) position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
#
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Old 02-09-11, 09:50 PM
Thank you very much for the replies. The alternator is indeed going bad. I do need to change that. This is just weird because i've drained the battery before without it wiggin out and throwin a fit. When it warms up a degree or 2 i'm going to try pulling the BCM fuse and see what that does. If that doesn't work, can't I just unplug the BCM and bypass it altogether? Maybe bridge the starter cutoff? If i post pics of under the hood would someone be able to label the BCM? I haven't had keyless entry for 4 years so i'm sure i can do without it again to avoid all this headache in the future.

Thanks so very much!

Tony

Old 02-10-11, 06:44 PM
well, it do not think it's easy to remove or unplug BCM. security feature. also, should you unplug it, it will most likely disable fuel system. security feature. my suggestion to you is to post this in specialty forums. no doubt someone somewhere had same problem.

you can go for broke and remove your powertrain control module. i think, BCM is part of it, just uses different sensors. so, i hope that by removing PCM and letting it sit outside for an hour or so, you can reset it from security situation. PCM is located right next to the battery, on the left hand side, in a plastic box. right below the radiator hose. book says that all learned specs for your engine will be lost, so it will run rough after reinstall for some time, until it learns specs.

also, found place else that 99 does not have BCM. maybe true, maybe not. it's internet "opinions". but if not, pulling PCM out sounds even more appealing. or, at least, pull PCM fuses out and leave it overnight. mine has 2 i believe. they are in that big fuse box under the hood.