97 Malibu antifreeze leak.

Old 02-14-11, 06:51 AM
97 Malibu antifreeze leak.

Would a small leak in the system, greatly increase when the heat fan is turned up full blast, especially when the engine is still cold?

I can not fiqure out where the leak is, but when my son uses the car to go to work, I know he cracks up the heat before the car is warm, and the next morning when I check, there is antifreeze all over the place. If it is not very cold out (something unusal for us right now), the fluid loss is minimal.

Greatly appreciate any input in this matter. I am aware of the problems with caskets on this model, but it is not leaking there, at this time. I have had two gaskets replaced previously....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-11, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Not unless there is a mechanical valve in the system. Nearly all cars nowadays have coolant flowing to the heater core all the time and the temperature is controlled by a blending door, so Whether he has the temp selector on cold or hot, coolant flow would be the same. You haven't narrowed down where the coolant is coming from?

Old 02-15-11, 04:22 AM
No, I have not found the source of the leak yet, however, all I have done is a visual inspection. Cannot aford to leave the car in the shop for any period of time. (only car).

Today, I will go to AZ and borrow a pressure tester, to see if that helps.

Many thanks for the reply.....

Old 02-16-11, 02:34 AM
3.1 3.4??????................Try to steal a glance under the intake and see if coolant is pooling there..........These cars were notorious for intake gasket leaks

Old 02-16-11, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
Right, what wrench said. What I meant to ask was whether you had narrowed down the location, i.e. top, bottom, left, right, front, back.

Old 02-16-11, 08:30 AM
I was not able to get to AZ yet. Looking at the engine from outside, the leak is certainly coming from the passenger side. There is a straight line of antifreeze on the underside of the hood on the insulation. Sometimes it will even be all over the overflow tank and the frame. Looking at the radiator where to overflow line goes into radiator and all down that side of the radiator has antifreeze.

Greatly appreciate you guy's trying to help me....Thanks

Old 02-16-11, 04:12 PM
Water pump...............weep hole is hidden by the pulley...............#2 on the 3.1 hit parade

Old 02-16-11, 07:08 PM
water pump. drips down onto pulley and belt spreads it all over the engine compartment.

folks, correct me if i'm wrong. is there even a coolant FLOW through the heater core BEFORE thermostat opens? and it opens on HOT not cold engine? i think, turning blower to max on cold engine produces zilch, nada, null influence on the coolant flow.

Old 02-18-11, 10:24 AM
Once again, thanks for the help. You guy's are right on the money. However, before I read the reply about the water pump, I put in a bottle of Bars Leak Liquid Copper. What ever it was it has stopped the leak for the moment at least. The reason I say you were right is after reading up on the location of the water pump, I noticed that the Camshaft Position Sensor was right below it. I had a check engine light come on recently and AZ did a check and said it was the CMP, which to me makes sense now, since antifreeze was probably dripping on the sensor and screwing things up.

Replacing the pump does not look like a big job and I will do it, plus replace the hoses and thermostat at the same time, as soon as the wheather warms up a bit. (No Garage) Also, while I am there I plan to flush the system as well.

Since the check engine light has not come on for some time now, do you feel that I should replace that as well, or has drying out taken care of the problem.?

Many thanks once again, you have saved me a lot of worry and money.....