1995 Toyota Camry V6 LE Coolant Leaking

Old 02-14-11, 03:15 PM
1995 Toyota Camry V6 LE Coolant Leaking

1995 Toyota Camry LE V6, 103,500 miles. Has coolant dripping from "plate, water seal" (part #: 11492-20010) which is next to oil filter in front of engine block. This matel plate has two 12mm nuts to hold plate onto engine block with some kind of rubber seal. Check with dealer, there isn't any rubber seal between engine block and this matel plate and has to use RTV sealant. My question is what is the proper way of putting sealant. One dealer told me to put sealant on metal plate and let it sit to dry, then screw it on. Another dealer told me to put sealant on metal plate and screw it on and let it dry. I also tried to cut paper seal to fit the shape and put a thin layer of RTV on it, but still have dripping. Please help if you know the proper way of putting it! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-11, 10:45 AM
Does anyone here know how to fix this problem?

Old 02-15-11, 03:26 PM
Group Moderator
I'm pretty good on Camry's since we're on our second one, unfortunately they've both been 4-bangers. Going to look up to see if I can find a diagram/pic of what you're working on.

Old 02-15-11, 05:51 PM
You sure its not between the oil filter and block. Some Toyota's have engine oil coolers. If you could link or post a pic that would be great

Old 02-15-11, 06:52 PM
so far, everything i found says to clean mating surfaces, apply liquid gasket sealant, and re-install part within 5 minutes, BEFORE sealant hardens. if it is not accomplished within 5 minutes, part needs to be re-scraped, cleaned, mating surfaces cleaned, sealant re-applied, part re-installed.
they say you can buy it at Autozone, but it's pricey, $65

you will need to make perfectly sure that there is NO liquid left anywhere on mating surfaces.

Old 02-16-11, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Yeah, I didn't find much either, but as a generic procedure I'd do as ukrbyk says. I was thinking maybe the surfaces were not perfectly clean and dry. Next time I have a V6 Camry on the hook , I'll have to see what this looks like.

Old 02-16-11, 11:15 AM
Thanks to all of your replies!

Here is the link to the picture I took from my car:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bzb...thkey=CLeat4oP

Here is the link to the diagram print out from dealer:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...thkey=CNXzkvoK

Old 02-16-11, 03:42 PM
looks like freeze plug.

you know, should you have a few punches and sharp knife, you can buy quality gasket material in sheets and make a good gasket. but you have to punch bolt holes, not drill or cut them.

my camry hybrid is 2007 and they do still use that gray sealant. just had pump replaced, so "familiarized" myself with its looks.

Old 02-16-11, 05:55 PM
Thanks for your replied, ukrbyk! As I said earlier, I bought a sheet gasket and used sharp knife to cut. I installed with a very thin layer of RTV sealant on both sides of sheet gasket and still have coolant dripping (very little). I am hoping some experience mechanics here can give me the proper way of fixing this problem. Use sheet gasket with thick layer of RTV sealant (dry or wet install), just RTV sealant and let it dry before install metal plate, or just RTV sealant and install metal plate before sealant dry?

Old 02-16-11, 06:52 PM
you welcome, but i am not referring to the thin green looking sheet. i am referring to the old style, thick gasket material. but that was maybe what you used. if it still drips, you might have that piece simply warped, happens. or its seat has a nix in it. or both. i had warped oil pans that were impossible to seal, until replaced or edges fixed true.
next thing to consider, as it, once again, awfully looks like freeze plug, is a micro crack in the engine block itself. try contrast dye in coolant, to determine exactly where the seepage is coming from.
next thing is - it's leaking somewhere else and simply looks like it's dripping from that piece. of course, you had all that figured precisely, have no doubt.

i am seriously curious, what exactly is the technical purpose of that "plate, water seal". what is it for? just for kicks?

Old 02-17-11, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
diy, your lionks don't work. Try posting as an image link.

I'm trying to imagine what the plate would be for, too; Toyota is usually pretty good at not putting useless stuff on it's equipment.

The plate itself is only about $10 looks like, so maybe replace it? I would have thought the gasket & rtv would have done the trick.

Old 02-17-11, 10:28 AM
The sheet gasket I got is black and about 1/16 inches thick. I can feel dripping at the bottom of this metal plate, but don't know where it is leaking from around the gasket. This hole has nothing connect to it and is useless. I am guessing Toyota may original design for some purposes. I know it is weird.

Here is the link again for picture:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bzb...thkey=CLeat4oP

Here is the link again for dealer's diagram:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...thkey=CNXzkvoK

Last edited by diyman; 02-17-11 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-17-11, 09:17 PM
seriously, do the contrast die test.
otherwise, it looks like a freeze plug or expansion hole for something to be attached there on a different version engine. blocks are basically very similar, it's the stuff around the blocks that makes them differ. yeah, i wouldn't be trusting feel by touch determination of what's going on there. gasket material you used sounds about right for the job. i am aware of drip holes in water pump housings, but not in something like this. either the piece is bent, or seat damaged, or crack is somewhere around.

Old 02-28-11, 02:38 PM
Here is the picture for the metal plate in contact with engine block. it has groove in the center:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0Bzb...ut=list&num=50

Here is the picture for the metal plate facing toward front of car:

Here is the hole with metal plate off, I need to take of oil filter (lower right 1/4 circle) to create more space to gain access:

What I did to fix this is to use RTV sealant to make a circle around metal plate centering at groove. Let it set for 10 minutes as instruction, then put it on. Use hand to push metal plate to stick on engine block, but not too much force. Then, hand tie two screws. Let it dry for 24 hours (I left it for 48 hours) and use socket to tie it up more (don't over tie it). It has been a week and no sign of leaking any more.