transmission flushing

Old 02-17-11, 06:53 AM
transmission flushing

Hi all,

Question regarding my 02 chevy venture. It currently has 83,000 miles on it. We purchased it used at 64,000 miles and have done nothing to the transmission. I don't know at this point if the previous owner did either. Anyways, I have no transmission problems nor does the tranny oily look/smell burnt or discolored. I am getting it ready as I will be doing some towing with it this summer and would like to get the transmission maint. done on it. I was going to get a fluid/ filter change and have also heard about flushes as well. Although I have also heard flushes can lead to premature failure of the tranny as well. Anybody have any ideas as to what is the best thing. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-11, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator
I would just do the filter and fluid change. When you drop the pan to change the filter all the trans fluid does not come out. The rest of the fluid is in the bell housing or tourqe converter and needs to be pumped out. I believe this may be a flush.

Invest for an oil cooler is you dont already have one. Heat kill a tranny in no time when towing.

Fuel filter?
Plugs,wires,cap?
PVC valve?
K&N air filter for better air flow.

What ya towing? I think they are only rated at 3500 lbs. And thats high side. One you put the family and gear in you get one swervy slug.

Mike NJ

Mike NJ

Old 02-17-11, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
jcraft - I moved your thread to make sure all whose opinion you would want would see it

Old 02-17-11, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info, I was going to add a transmission cooler anyways. Looks like the transmission lines already go into the end of the radiator but I would like to put a secondary one on. I will be towing a pop up at about 3100 lbs totally loaded. THe venture is rated at 3500lbs. with two passengers. I will be taking the 100lb rear seat out when towing as well

Old 02-18-11, 04:18 AM
I took the vehicle to a reputable transmission shop in town and advised him about the 83,000 miles on it and we do not know if any maint. has ever been done to the tranny. He advised that he would not attempt to do anything to the transmission not even and oil/filter change becuase sometimes that even makes matters worse. Does this sound right?

Old 02-18-11, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator
Does not sound right. What does it say in your manual about the maintainance on the trans and how many miles???

Mike NJ

Old 02-18-11, 07:06 AM
The manual syas 40,000 miles but I have no way of knowing it was ever done. If you google it on the internet I see ghorror stories about people having it done with higher miles on the tranny and they have had issues with irt after the work. It sounds like a flush can send debris and other stuff throughout if it's older and hasn't been maintained. Maybe this is what the shop is worried about. I doubt a shop would warranty it if they do a flush and a week later the tranny goes.

Old 02-18-11, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
I would change the filter and whatever fluid comes out. Thats just me though. Forget the flush.

Mike NJ

Old 02-18-11, 11:30 AM
do not power flush

pour can of transtune into trannie and drive for about 500 miles before ATF change.

if you are planning on adding aftermarket cooler to it, whoever does the install will have to do drain /refill anyway.

i said it here before and will not mind repeating myself. add 2 things:

1. load leveling kit
2. brake booster or whatever is that they recommend to improve ur brakes. that trailer will weigh about as much as ur van, as i have little doubt 3600lb is trailer ONLY, then you'll load it with all kinds of heavy stuff you prolly won't use anyway, )), doubling its weight. you try stopping that thing with your regular brakes, say on a long downhill, you either jackknife, end up in a ditch or burn brake fluid in a heartbeat.

Old 02-18-11, 05:36 PM
first off if your thinking about a tranny cooler here is the first question. When you smell the trans fluid does it smell burnt. If so you need a flush at a lube then a tranny cooler. If not then no tranny cooler is needed. If it smells bad aka burnt then yes you need it. So install is easy. Tranny fluid goes in the radiator to cool. That line gets ran into a cooler then back into the trans. virtually no fluid is loss. Usually lead foot drivers or people who tow things need an aftermarket cooler. But yes flush it. Virtually all flushes are passive. meaning your trans pump does the work not an external pump. Wich makes them safe.

Old 02-27-11, 05:45 PM
If you plan to tow that pop-up then I DEFINITELY recommend the cooler, I wouldn't tow it without it. As someone said in a previous post, heat KILLS transmissions & a cooler will go a long way to help that situation. Most radiators (& likely yours) have an integrated trans cooler but an external extra cooler not affected by radiator heat will do much better. I don't know or believe that the fluid must be flushed & replaced on a cooler install, they simply break the lines on the cooling return & add it inline.
It is possible to flush your system your self. A friend that worked at one of the lube places explained how to do it & though I've never done it it makes sense. You have two cooling lines going to the radiator, a send (under pressure) & a return. If you break the send line (you could do it by trial & error or look it up in a shop manual - public library maybe) you can attach an extension hose & route it to a container. Crank the vehicle & let it run until it stops pumping fluid. Once flow stops, you've pumped the majority of it out. You can add a bit of clean flush behind it & pump it out. Then refill with clean fluid. If you decide to change your filter & pan gasket then you've done the same thing the lube place would charge you ~$100 for.
I was told that as plates wear, that plate material is part of the fluid & still imparts its properties to the trans operation. If you flush it & replace it with clean, your trans may not operate as it did before.
I am not a mechanic, just sharing some info that I know & have learned, use the info at your discretion.
I have a '99 Tahoe that suffered a trans failure in December. My return line was clamped to the tube from the radiator with a hose clamp & it popped apart, dumoing all of my fluid. I felt my trans slip & should have stopped right then but I DIDN'T. I was towing something & didn't have far to my destination so thought I'd see if I could make it. 2 lights later my truck wouldn't move, boiling white smoke (smoked the clutch plates!). I tried re-attaching the hose & refilling with fluid, no bueno. $2292 at AAMCO & back on the road............... Moral of the story, make sure the hose clamp on your trans cooling return line is TIGHT!

Good luck!
(add that cooler!)

TexasFire