Battery low over night

Old 02-18-11, 06:25 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Battery low over night

Hello, I have a 1996 Toyota Camry, 4cyl. For the last two mornings when I go to my car the battery is to low to start, even to shift into neutral to move car. Yesterday I had AAA come out to charge the battery. After charge car started normally.Test report shows the battery good, starter test = shows low cranking amps, charge sys. test shows = no problems and the drain test shows 0.00A, pass. Well, here I am again waiting to call AAA. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for ? Thank you, Al

Old 02-18-11, 06:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
First check to make sure the interior lights go off when you shut the door. Next, remove the light bulbs from the trunk like and under hood light if you have one and see if that clears up the problem.

Next step requires a amp meter. Disconnect one lead from the battery and hook the meter in series so you can see how much power the car is pulling when off. If it seems abnormally high start pulling fuses until you find the culprit.

Old 02-18-11, 07:03 AM
A
Red face

Pilot Dane, thanks for your suggestions I am going to try them right now. I live in Calif. and without a car you are up a tree. Al **when you said start pulling fuses, am I looking for a blown fuse or something else.

Last edited by amoreyou; 02-18-11 at 07:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-18-11, 07:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, you hook the meter in line and it will show how much current is being drawn from the battery by the car when it's just sitting there. Usually the engine computer, clock and radio pull a little bit to hold their memory. If you see a high current something is running/on that probably should not be. Pull a fuse and look to see if the meter drops. Keep doing this until you pull a fuse and see that the meter has taken a big drop. Now you know to look at the things on that circuit that might be running.

Old 02-18-11, 07:55 AM
A
Thanks again Pilot Dane, Looking at my tester it only tests AC/DC volts and ohms. When a friend comes by I will go out and buy a tester for amps. Al

Old 02-18-11, 11:22 AM
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
OH COME ON, GUYS.

go to any parts store. buy a dollar or so worth battery cleaning tool, a can of dielectric grease, and a can of battery sealant. total cost will be maybe 10 bucks.

remove battery cables, one at a time, clean thoroughly, apply dielectric grease, SET CABLE BACK ON POLE SO THAT IT IS FLUSH WITH BATTERY. spray over with sealant. it's purplish fluid. be happy.

for the year, your alternator belt is very likely loose, check and adjust or replace.

when done with alternator belt, find a voltmeter, start the engine, and check how much voltage is supplied to the battery terminals. anything below 13.6V will serve you no good.

Genius is the ability to reduce the complicated to the simple.
CW Ceran

Old 02-18-11, 03:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Thank you for pointing out the simple solution. It's just crazy enough to work.

Old 02-18-11, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
But if you read closely...charge system and drain test have been done...I don't know what that entails though. Guess much depends on who did it...a shop or a parts store?

Old 02-18-11, 06:01 PM
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
But if you read closely...charge system and drain test have been done...I don't know what that entails though. Guess much depends on who did it...a shop or a parts store?

yeah, i saw it. KISS first. he can always spend a ton of green on repairs later, if KISS does not work. i simply have that gut feeling... year, plus how many people do really keep battery terminals clean? i have seen so many of those white beards on them...

btw, what the heck is going with the website? either down, or drags badly.. waiting for all kinds of promo sites to send their info....

Old 02-19-11, 09:30 AM
B
How old is the battery? It may just be on last legs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: