96 Plymouth Breeze Low oil pressure

Old 02-23-11, 12:48 PM
96 Plymouth Breeze Low oil pressure

What are the possible reasons for a low presure engine oil? Because the indicator light is on, and the oil level is not critical, but the engine has a leak.
If I repair the leak and fill the engine, the light will go off?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-11, 01:19 PM
Not necessarily. The light indicates pressure, not oil level. Check the oil level first.
A low, and even a high, oil level can cause low oil pressure.

The sender may be bad. If you can, put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on the engine. Find out if it really has low oil pressure.

If it does, it could indicate the bearings are wearing. It could also be a clogged oil pump inlet, or oil pump failure/damage. How long has it been since you last changed the oil and filter?

Old 02-23-11, 01:35 PM
1. low oil level; normally, light comes up when in neutral or sitting at red light, as rpms drop down. rpms go up - light goes away
2. crankshaft bearings are going bad. i forgot the wisdom behind it, but those are the ones that seal oil channels inside crankshaft and tierods; they go bad, pressure goes down. 96 plymouth you said? i am almost betting that's what it is.
3. oil pump is going bad; as simple as they are, they do. 96, right?
4. oil burns out due to blow by from bad piston rings. as it burns out, its properties change and it does not maintaine proper pressure anymore. 96, right?
5. bad sensor, though i doubt. maybe bad contact on sensor ground. hopefully.

a leak is a leak. as far as all the mechanical components work well, and you maintain oil level where it's supposed to be, pressure should be WNL.

please, do not feel offended. there's a good reason Plymouth is no more. along with Olds. those were not good cars...

Old 02-23-11, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post

please, do not feel offended. there's a good reason Plymouth is no more. along with Olds. those were not good cars...
Take no offense to a correction

Amazingly for the last 20 years dodge and plymouth used the same engines, and so did chevrolet and oldsmobile.

Old 02-24-11, 04:06 AM
...............and to add insult to injury, most (if not all) of the engines used in the Breeze are built by Mitsubishi.........

Old 02-24-11, 06:40 AM
Yesterday I changed the oil filter, but with no resuts.
One thing I forget said is, the car feels like loss power.
How can i measure the oil pressure with a external device?

Old 02-24-11, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by wrench47 View Post
...............and to add insult to injury, most (if not all) of the engines used in the Breeze are built by Mitsubishi.........
All the engines in the breeze are available in the dodge. Plymouth went under becuase there was to much overhead in rebadging vehicle under a different name.

Old 02-24-11, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by chentes View Post
How can i measure the oil pressure with a external device?
You'll need an oil pressure gauge and some adapters to fit your block. Find the oil pressure sender on the block, remove it, and put the mechanical gauge on it. Some stores like Autozone will rent you a gauge.