Key Start Ignition Problem

Old 02-24-11, 01:57 PM
Key Start Ignition Problem

Hi: We have a 2004 Ford Focus ZTW. We have started to have this problem. The key goes in the ignition but will not turn to start. I am looking for a ball park idea on the cost to repair. Used lubricant etc.
Any help most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-11, 06:35 AM
it needs a new ignition key & lock cylinder.
shouldn't cost much more than $150.
usually can get by a couple of times-by trying to turn key,while at the same time-tapping on the collar around the key with the handle of a hammer -DON'T beat on it.
if you get it started - take it in to your shop, before you have to have it towed.

Old 02-25-11, 01:32 PM
it's a Ford.

locate little screw that holds key lock cylinder in the steering column. take it out and pull the lock out. peack inside and see if there's a rectangular slot deep in the resulting hole. if it's still there - knowing Ford, it probably is - stick a flathead in and turn the ignition. if it starts - well, you have it "fixed". if it doesn't - you have bad ignition module in the steering column.

i drove like this for over a year, when the lock in Ford got same problem.

if you replace just that lock, you'll end up with 2 sets of keys, one for ignition and one for doors. might as well just put remote start on it.

Old 02-26-11, 07:42 AM
Thanks to all for advice and help. Attilathehun1.

Old 02-26-11, 12:46 PM
If it is a standard tranny the switch is about 25 dollars...auto tranny about $50.
You use your old key cylinder so no new keys.

Old 02-26-11, 03:16 PM
key "does not turn to start". Ford did not change, I had same problem on EIGHTY SEVEN Taurus. They use 2 different metal alloys, one for key insert itself, one for key cylinder. Cylinder is made out of synthetic aluminum, key chamber out of steel/bronze, or whatever. Synth aluminum corrodes very easy, due to galvanic charges between 2 alloys. just like a cheap padlock outside. must be lubricated routinely, or will get stuck in few mths. Same goes for their door locks, btw.
at least, The Great Han did not break key in it, trying to turn it. key cylinder must have key inserted and be in specific position for lock to be removed. there's a latch that holds it in place.

Old 03-03-11, 11:05 AM
Hi. Here is what one shop told us. You can buy a new lock for about $100, but what you get is a new cylinder wthout keys and you need to have it rekeyed. Can anyone explain this a little better. Thanks

Old 03-03-11, 04:29 PM
I used to be a Tech @ a Ford Dealer.. They can replace the key & Cylinder & cut the key for the doors so it's exactly the way it is now.. DO NOT wait until the key won't turn as there is a steel pin that holds everything together & the aluminium around it usually gets destroyed before the steel pin gets drilled... It's a 10 min job @ the dealer with the tools now or a lot more if you wait 'till the key won't turn,,,, Roger..

Old 03-03-11, 08:35 PM
they will mate cylinder with your current key. at least, that's what it sounds like back from my locksmithing days.
call dealership and find out about what hopkins said. it's matter of cost efficiency truly.

Old 03-04-11, 08:48 AM
Hi; Too late, the key does not turn, and we have been following advise of
urkbyk [reply #3], and tapping key, etc. Now we want to replace lock/ cylinder. See #7 above. Want new lock/cylinder to fit with exsisting keys That is the current problem.

Old 03-04-11, 10:42 AM
not sure what you mean. my suggestion was to take lock out completely. after it's taken out, car usually can be started simply with a screwdriver.
to take lock out, key has to be in the lock cylinder. retaining screw removed from the steering column, and lock slid out. takes some key turning this way or that way, as there's a retaining latch outside the lock cylinder that prevents it from falling out of the steering column. that's it.
if key inserts but does not turn at all, probably one of the lock pins came out and jammed the cylinder in the lock. there's a brutal way to fix this, but i'd rather no mention it. :NO NO NO:you saw it in the movies anyway.

Old 03-04-11, 09:10 PM
I replied to post #7 & told you that it can be keyed to the origional code, Didn't I??? The key has to be in the run position & you push the pin toward the ignition cylinder & pull to remove.. the cover over the steering column has to be removed to axcess the pin.. The dealer can key it as it was origionally as Ford uses the 1st 1/2 of the key for ignition & the 2nd 1/2 of the key for the doors.. You buy the cylinder,, they read the old key & cut new to match,, Done it 100's times... Get it fixed before it won't turn as it's the same as stealing the car to fix it as ukrbyk said & it's not pretty... Fix it now or replace the steering column later, Roger

Last edited by hopkinsr2; 03-04-11 at 09:15 PM. Reason: question
Old 03-05-11, 07:39 AM
http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...13/article.pdf

lockpicking apparently became a SOP for Ford vehicles. every time i read about Ford issues, it never stops to amaze me, how well rooted they are back in time in their cars - and made more complicated to fix in newer ones. same darn problem they had with their locks 20 years ago - but now you have to use CNC tooling to get it out.

c/p

I just called a locksmith and I've been informed that this is a very common problem with the Focus. Ford dealers even has him install the same type of ignition cylinder that will most likely seize up again even though he has mentioned to them that there is a better aftermarket one.

He said he's replaced 100's in the last few years and they keep having him install the crappy Ford replacement. He was telling me on one Focus, he's replaced the IC 4 times in the last two years.
He has an aftermarket one that is know not to seize up and is better than the one Ford uses.
It's the one he uses if customers have him replace the IC.

Also, I called 4 Locksmiths and they all know about this ignition cylinder issue.
Everyone seems surprised that there is no recall or free fix from Ford on this problem.

Anyway, I would suggest that anyone having this issue get an aftermarket one from a locksmith because getting the one from the dealer will most likely have the same issue in the future.

as it was said in the "Fight Club": Only when the cost of lawsuits exceeds the cost of recall, we issue recall. What car company are you working for? A MAJOR one".

Old 05-27-14, 01:11 PM
Ford Focus stuck ignition cylinder fixed!

I ordered the Strattec replacement cylinder on line. I emailed a picture of the key and they keyed to my car for $35. ********Local ******** locksmith removed the seized one (did not drill, despite unable to turn--must be a locksmith trick) and installed the new one at my home in about 20 minutes for less than $100. Total cost about a third of what the dealer wanted, if I had it towed there first.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 05-27-14 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Advertising not allowed

Search this Thread