Driver's side windshield washer not working on 2003 Accord

Old 02-27-11, 10:48 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Driver's side windshield washer not working on 2003 Accord

When I activate the windshield washer mechanism, the fluid gets sprayed to the passenger side but not the driver's side. I looked at a general purpose car repair guide, and it recommended these steps. Use a needle to clean out the washer hole, without enlarging it. If it doesn't work, remove the washer orifice part and rise it. If it still does't work, replace the orifice part.

I've done the first part, using the needle. To get to the second part, I have to remove the cowl covers. I have removed the clips that are visible. It sounds like no big deal to remove the wiper arm and the hood rear seal. However, when I try lifting the driver's side cowl cover, something is holding it back. I presume there are hidden clips. However, hidden clips should just lift off too, but I can't seem to dislodge the cowl cover. Any hints will be appreciated.

Anup

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-11, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Anup, before you pull the cowling, can you detach the hose leading to that orifice? See if you get pressure out of the hose. If you do, then it is definitely the orifice. BUT, you may be able to back wash it without taking out the cowling. Force water back through the orifice using a syringe. You may have trash that will dislodge. Let us know on this. It may keep you from going through too much trouble.

Old 03-02-11, 05:31 AM
Received 10 Votes on 7 Posts
Are you sure it's not just frozen?

Old 03-06-11, 08:33 PM
A
It is definitely not frozen. It was 60 degrees today and it still didn't work.

I do know the pump is working and it is sending washer fluid to the passenger's side. Unfortunately, the hose connections are hidden underneath the cowl cover so I can't visually see the hose. I have yet to try the syringe approach.

Old 03-07-11, 04:50 PM
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
you might be surprised how much washer fluid can crystallize. also, i have encountered quite a few Honda couplings in those systems, that will crumble and block the passage. btw, junk yards are good reliable source of those, no need to buy them.

Old 03-20-11, 02:32 PM
A
I'm taking one step at a time. I have to get the cowl cover off. In order to get this off, I have to remove the wiper arms. I got the covering cups off and have the nuts removed as well. Supposedly the arms are free to be removed, but they won't come off. What technique can I use to get them off?

Old 03-20-11, 04:18 PM
well, they usually get stuck on the splines. the only technique that really works is to soak center axle with a Quick Wrench or similar, then grab arm very low, right next to the attachment point, find something strong and flat to get under the arm base on the opposite side, and pry up/pull same time. little wiggling helps a lot. you need to have a piece of wood or plastic between your pry tool and cowl/glass, or you'll crack it.
before reinstalling arm back, apply antiseize to the splines liberally.

Old 03-20-11, 04:27 PM
anup, make sure arm is all the way up off the glass.. spring tension tilts and jams arm on the shaft.

Old 03-20-11, 07:10 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Disconnect the hose at the drivers side sprayer nozzle. Use a pair of vise grips to tightly clamp the hose on the passenger side. This will shift all the washer fluid pressure to the drivers side. Run the washer. If you see a strong stream of washer fluid coming out of the drivers hose then the pump motor is good. At this point check the drivers side hoses for any blockage. If no blockage is found replace the drivers side sprayer nozzle.

Kind Regards
Diane

Old 03-21-11, 08:21 PM
A
Diane and ukrbyk, thank you for your suggestions. I couldn't get the wiper arms off so I've ordered a Battery terminal and Wiper arm puller tool. This can take days, but I'm determined to do it by myself. I will keep your suggestions in mind.

All the best,
Anup

Old 03-22-11, 10:09 AM
GOOD LUCK, BUDDY. YOU'LL GET IT. NEXT TIME, CHECK WITH LOCAL PARTS STORES, ALL OF THEM HAVE TOOL RENTAL PROGRAMS AND MAYBE YOU CAN sorry about caps - maybe you can simply rent a tool needed. yes, wiper arms take some strength to pull off the shaft. hope you have enough clearance for puller jaws to fit in.