K&n filter

Old 03-07-11, 09:14 PM
K&n filter

Have several K&N air filters ,on different engines . It costing a little to much for the cleaner and oil, is there any other cleaner that will work, dont mind buying the oil but if there is something else that is o.k to use in place of the cleaner or oil it would help my wallet Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-11, 11:47 AM
An OEM filter paper filter would be great

Old 03-08-11, 12:34 PM
I have 2 K&N filters on different SUVs (150,000 miles and 100,00 miles) and bought both the cleaner and spray when I bought them and still have plenty left. Maybe I just drive in cleaner air since my supplies have been minimal and I often just clean to make myself feel better because it is easy and simple.

Dick

Old 03-08-11, 06:05 PM
jam, what you talking about? you clean it every 50K miles, one cleaning kit is good for 3 refills. it's 50K miles on original filter outta da box, plus 150K miles on refills. for TEN bucks? and i have ALL of my cars converted to K&N ait filters. have no doubt you do it all right, but sounds like you use stuff too liberally. if you over - oil filter, you'll end up with bad MAF sensor, oil will spray on it and kill it. you need just a tad of cleaner and just right of oil.

Old 03-08-11, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the sugestions

Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
jam, what you talking about? you clean it every 50K miles, one cleaning kit is good for 3 refills. it's 50K miles on original filter outta da box, plus 150K miles on refills. for TEN bucks? and i have ALL of my cars converted to K&N ait filters. have no doubt you do it all right, but sounds like you use stuff too liberally. if you over - oil filter, you'll end up with bad MAF sensor, oil will spray on it and kill it. you need just a tad of cleaner and just right of oil.
Its just I have 22 service trucks plus 6 personal veichules plus family and friends that use K&N filters for a total of about 45 cars and trucks, and as I noted before just trying to save a buck. Thanks All

Old 03-09-11, 02:11 PM
why you didn't say so?
yeah, i see your point now.

18. Can I use anything other than K&N cleaner and oil?

For best results, we recommend that you use K&N air filter oil and K&N air filter cleaner. K&N air filter oil is a special compound which forms a very efficient tacking agent that helps capture dust. Our cleaner is a non-detergent degreaser. Petroleum products such as transmission fluid and motor oil will soften and destroy the rubber sealing edges. Harsh solvents and gasoline will harden the rubber seals causing the filter to distort (shrink). A mild detergent can be used in a pinch, but care should be taken to fully rinse it out. Rinsing detergent out of a filter is similar to getting soap out of a sponge; it's not that easy to do. Always make sure the filter is dry before re-oiling.

Old 03-09-11, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Old 03-09-11, 09:02 PM
I have to agree with 2granddaughters,, Use the OEM filter,, My time is worth more than the filters that you're taking time to clean,, I think if you consider the cost of your labor (unless you work free) & the cost of the cleaning supplies over the life of the fleet, the OEM paper is the best bang for you'r buck.... Just thoughts.... Roger

Old 03-09-11, 09:43 PM
You got to love all the input

Just want on Ebay and then to Amazon and found Amazon has a great deal on the larger size cleaner and oil with free shipping and NO ! Calif. 9.75% sale tax got to love it. Thanks to all for all the input arent these forums great!