Candidate engines for '88 Beretta...

Old 03-13-11, 01:20 PM
Candidate engines for '88 Beretta...

The 2.0-liter TBI/pushrod engine in this 190K-mile unit has pretty nearly given its all, and is getting ready to retire. The car is too straight (and pretty cool-looking to boot) to just junk the whole thing, though. What I'd like to do is to have another engine ready to go in when this one breathes its last.
Since this car came with, and still has, the 5-speed transmission, and my fiancee and I both like to shift our own, we'd like to leave it in place. But I'd like to put a little more power in front (or to the right) of it. Out of all the other 4- and even 6-cylinder engines GM offered in 1988, does anybody know what else will mate to the 5-speed and bolt in with no clearance or other issues? Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-11, 12:49 PM
Chris, you might take a look at the 2.8 liter and 3.1 liter engines for this year model. Not sure about clearances but you could find out from GM what different types of transmissions were used for the 2.8 and 3.1. I would almost bet that the trans in your vehicle would bolt right up to the 2.8 or with little difficulty. My niece had an 89 with a 5 speed and 2.8L that I replaced the clutch on and I owned a 91 with a 3.1L and auto trans that would have accepted the 2.8L. So my thought is that the 2.8L is the versatile engine for the Berreta.