Reccomend a battery

Old 03-14-11, 08:02 PM
Reccomend a battery

I need a new battery for a 2003 Honda Pilot. What should I be looking for?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator
A car battery typically has two ratings:

•CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) - The number of amps that the battery can produce at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) for 30 seconds
•RC (Reserve Capacity) - The number of minutes that the battery can deliver 25 amps while keeping its voltage above 10.5 volts

And from what I was told is the 3 yr/5yr/10 yr batterys as far as warranty is concerned ar all the same battery. The differeance is the distance the plates are to the bottom of the housing. When the crude falls off the plates the stuff settles to the bottom. When enough crude accumulates and it final reaches the plates thats when the batterys usually fail. Hence a bigger gap will last longer. Longer warranty but more money.

Plus many people dont check the acid levels and add distilled water when they should. I had the battery on my truck last close to 10 years. I also put them on a charger now and then.

Dont get a sealed battery and please dont by a gel battery. Thats just my opinion.

Mike NJ

Old 03-15-11, 08:21 AM
Whatever you buy you will probably end up getting 5 years and likely alot more out of it. Recently I have been getting 7 to 8 years out of OEM batteries at least. Will you still have the car in 5 years? The common brand named part stores I think all provide pro-rated 7 year warranties these days. In any case the battery life will likely cost you $15 to $20 per year. Not much in todays repair world. Just make sure you buy the correct rated battery capacity/size for the car. Many battery brands come from the same factory as with alot of parts these days and are more or less rebadged for retail.

Old 03-15-11, 03:31 PM
2003 is zero maintenance battery. or so it should.
i like high CCA ranking. but it depends where you live, so for FL it does not really matter.
cheapest way possible is to get one off salvage yard.
if you plan on keeping the car, buy exact replacement at Sam's or Costco.
if you want to get long, useful time out of it, clean/seal terminals. lawrence here will tell you what to use for that.