96 Plymouth Breeze front Lower control arm

Old 03-25-11, 01:32 PM
96 Plymouth Breeze front Lower control arm

I had to change the control arm but the bolt was stuck and I had to destroy it.
Spacifically is the connection bolt of damper folk and lateral lower arm.
Now I should know what kind of bolt is to buy it. Because somebody told me that it is a special bolt.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-11, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That bolt has to come from a dealer. You should know about the (FREE) recall below.

SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT Recall for 1996 BREEZE PLYMOUTH Auto Recalls - Justia Car & Truck Recalls

Kind Regards
Diane

Old 03-25-11, 02:14 PM
I know first hand the suspension design you are dealing with. Been there done that. You local dealer should have the bolt in stock for a few bucks. They always break. I wouldn't use hardware bolts. The bolts from the dealer are proven to not errode or degrade in harsh environments. Plus its under $10.

Old 03-25-11, 06:15 PM
Diane, he has a broken control arm bolt. not ball joint stud.

actually, many hardware stores do have automotive section. auto parts stores do have them either. specialy nut and bolt stores have them either. you know what? junkyards will pull them, or let you pull them out, either.

virtually any structural automotive bolts are "special" in terms of better alloys used and heat treating process to make them resilient to high stresses. plus, as far as i know, control arm bolts have very short thread pitch.

btw, chentes, this might be a fair read for you. not your year, i know, but it should be close.

2001 Dodge Neon Control Arm Bolts Removal

oh, and there are horror stories about newer Neons that require a whole to be cut in the floor to get to the control arm bolt.

Old 03-25-11, 07:52 PM
Ukrbyk,

Thank for your input, and for giving me the opportunity to respond. We are not talking about an ordinary bolt here.

The numbers stamped on the head of the bolt are referred to the grade of the bolt used in certain application with the strength of a bolt. High-strength steel bolts usually have a hexagonal head with an ISO strength rating (called property class) stamped on the head. And the absence of marking/number indicates a lower grade bolt with low strength. The property classes most often used are 5.8, 8.8, and 10.9. The number before the point is the tensile ultimate strength in MPa divided by 100. The number after the point is 10 times the ratio of tensile yield strength to tensile ultimate strength. For example, a property class 5.8 bolt has a nominal (minimum) tensile ultimate strength of 500 MPa, and a tensile yield strength of 0.8 times tensile ultimate strength or 0.8(500) = 400 MPa.

Tensile ultimate strength is the stress at which the bolt fails. Tensile yield strength is the stress at which the bolt will receive a permanent set (an elongation from which it will not recover when the force is removed) of 0.2 % offset strain. When elongating a fastener prior to reaching the yield point, the fastener is said to be operating in the elastic region; whereas elongation beyond the yield point is referred to as operating in the plastic region, since the fastener has suffered permanent plastic deformation.

Mild steel bolts have property class 4.6. High-strength steel bolts have property class 8.8 or above.The same type of screw or bolt can be made in many different grades of material. For critical high-tensile-strength applications, low-grade bolts may fail, resulting in damage or injury. On SAE-standard bolts, a distinctive pattern of marking is impressed on the heads to allow inspection and validation of the strength of the bolt. However, low-cost counterfeit fasteners may be found with actual strength far less than indicated by the markings. Such inferior fasteners are a danger to life and property when used in aircraft, automobiles, heavy trucks, and similar critical applications.

Kind Regards
Diane

Old 03-26-11, 06:03 AM
I know I can buy it in a local hardware store, but how can I order it?
Is metric? what thread? length? and some others specifications.

Old 03-26-11, 06:27 AM
Chentes,

Do yourself a favor and don't deal with local hardware stores for this bolt. As I stated THIS IS NOT AN ORDINARY BOLT. For that matter, you shouldn't deal with any local hardware stores, for any part or parts you may need to complete this job. You shouldn't even go to a junkyard, because doing so raises the question of part quality and integrity. GO TO A DEALER to get any part you need.

Kind Regards
Diane

Old 04-24-11, 05:29 PM
ya like he says its your life buy it as ace if u want it will fit