Best lubricant for sticking window seals and tracks

Old 03-28-11, 08:28 AM
Best lubricant for sticking window seals and tracks

Both front power windows on my son's 2007 Mazda 3 stopped working. I noticed that both were sticking in their tracks, or on the seals, so I freed them up, cleaned the tracks and sprayed WD40 into them using the plastic straw method, and also rubbed the rubber window seals with this also. This immediately solved the problem and both now work properly but I am not sure how long using this type of product will really last. Is there a better lubricant that I should use that would last longer ? Lithium, or dialetic grease are two ideas I thought of. Any suggestions on this, or will the WD40 continue to lubricate sufficiently for a decent length of time? Are there other proven specific products available that would be better, considering the hot summers, and high UV level in Texas.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Silicone would be a better choice for the seals. I think white lithium would be better for the rails, but you'll have to pull the door panels off.

The WD40 probably loosened up some of the old grease, but it won't last.

Old 03-28-11, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 03-28-11, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Silicone would be a better choice for the seals. I think white lithium would be better for the rails, but you'll have to pull the door panels off.

The WD40 probably loosened up some of the old grease, but it won't last.
+1 for silicone spray. get a quality can of it though, not the cheap stuff. and for the scraper moldings (the black furry horizontal ones that the glass sits in between), these generally do not cause an issue except on the hottest and stickiest of days. a little baby powder on them should do the trick without leaving a bunch of junk on the glass.

Old 03-28-11, 06:44 PM
nothing. you have to cure the disease, not the symptoms. either window regulators are "getting there", or doors got crooked pulling window guides out of alignment. took me a lot of "lubricating" to figure that out. on cars that are not out of shape, pun intended, windows do not stick. or cars that have good window regulators.

Old 03-29-11, 05:57 AM
Thanks Ukrbyk, but in this case the disease is the track and window seals. Both regulators and motors are working correctly, and the windows are fitting well inside the tracks. For some reason Mazda recently does not use the 'furry' scraper type moldings that have been around forever, and all of them are made of rubber and with heat, and UV it doesn't take that long for the rubber to start to really grip the glass. Thank you Diane 1 for your suggestion of the good rubber conditioning and track lubricating product. I will definitely pick some up and use it. I did just change out 2 regulators with drive motors on my other son's Grand Am as they failed along with every other Grand Am/Alero/Malibu window regulator ever produced. Those ones break glass attaching clips, and lose motors to the point where they sell them now in window pair sets priced as 2 for 1.

Old 03-30-11, 05:01 PM
Silicone would work, I prefer clear O Ring grease, it lasts a long time.