recommended oil and weight

Old 03-28-11, 10:09 AM
recommended oil and weight

Just bought a 2003 mitsubishi outlander,4 cylinder.I want to change the oil.Can anyone tell me the manufacters recmmended brand and weight on oil to purchase? Thanks.I tried to look it up and they want $40.. on a manual.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-11, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
5-30 or 10-30 depending on temps and usage. Light driving...no real hot weather (above 100 degrees) use the 5W.....heavy driving no below 0 temps..use the 10W

Either should be just fine...

Oh....Autozone has specs for most cars... thats where I found it...

Old 03-28-11, 02:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
5W-30 Castrol GTX
Purolator Pure One oil filters
Change oil and filter every 3000 miles
Don't use synthetic
Don't use 10W-30

Kind Regards
Diane

Old 03-28-11, 05:39 PM
Bearings

You know, just to toss a pinch of technical insight on this, maybe you'll have a different perspective...

Did you ever wonder what the difference between oil weights is? well, if you're a person dumping oil from a bottle, I doubt if you'll notice the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 but if you're an engine, you'll notice it like sweet pickles or dill.

one simple reason - viscosity.

Engines have many moving parts that require oil to stay alive. Your crankshaft goes round and round and round sending your pistons up and down. Your camshaft(s) go round and round and round opening and closing your valves so the engine can breath air in and exhale exhaust out. These rotating parts all survive and do not experience friction because they ride on a pocket of oil. The oil pump in a car pumps oil between these components and the bearings that surround them. this little pocket of oil is the only thing keeping these parts from self destructing.

Anyhow, the space between these components and their bearings is what is known as "bearing clearance" and it is what it is based on the design specification set forth by the manufacturer. Most japanese cars have very "tight" clearances meaning the "oil pocket" is extremely thin.

Thin? that's right. thin clearances call for thin oil -- i.e. 5w30 is thinner than 10w30--. oil is also thicker cold than it is hot. You're oil pump (believe me, it's the engine's heart) has a screen to protect itself and sort of filter the oil before it gets pumped through the engine. The next time you buy oil for a car and someone says that there's no difference between weights, just wonder this... How much easier does water flow through a strainer then olive oil?

Moral of the story? if you have a choice, go for the thinner oil, ESPECIALLY in the winter. plus, you'll likely get better gas mileage (only a little though... .5 to 1mpg tops).

just my two cents. wait a minute! that was more like 2 bucks!

Last edited by moveright; 03-28-11 at 05:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-28-11, 07:16 PM