Car storage in Florida

Old 03-29-11, 01:03 PM
Car storage in Florida

This is the place to get an answer to this issue: Heard stories that when people return (snowbirds) to Florida and start their car, some cars will not even move; they have to rock the car and all kinds of little things before the wheels will turn. They said it is due to rust developing on the discsf rom just sitting in a humid/rainy atmosphere in Florida. Sounds reasonable......anyone got any suggestions on what might help prevent that or how to best deal with it when you take the car out for the first time? Figured if anyone had ideas, this forum would.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-11, 01:25 PM
Car storage

Most people I know who store cars have someone drive the car once or twice a month. It's a lot of things that do them in; the sun, humidity, parasidic drain, among others. If you don't use it you loose it. Unless you completely "winterize" it. You could google that. I winterize my boat engine for 7 months a year, and and when I am ready to launch, it starts right up this will be the 25th season, same engine.
Sid

Old 03-29-11, 04:39 PM
Appreciate the suggestions but never the starting and fluds have never been the issue, the problem that was talked about was rust apparantly forming on the brake discs causing wheels sometimes to get hung up......we are looking for solutions if there are any.

Old 03-29-11, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
I can tell you at the start of the snowbird season jump starts are the most common reason to be called out to a car that sat over the summer. While there will be some surface rust on the brake disks/drums, it generally takes much longer to rust them up to the point of immobility than simply one summer season. I often tow vehicles that have sat uncovered in people's driveways for years without the brakes rusting to the point of stopping wheel rotation and most snowbirds cars are at the very least under a carport.

Old 04-06-11, 08:49 AM
I beg to differ. Despite my good advice, my mother left a car in Florida for the summers. It was not under a carport, but rather it was left out in the sun. She took a new car and turned it into junk in just 5 years, with only 40K on the odometer. She eventually sold it for $400.

Corrosion gets everywhere. Brakes and rotors can be replaced. But when nearly everything needs to be replaced, it's time to rethink the situation. You may be better off economically by only having one car instead of two, and having the car shipped each season... roughly $1300 round trip. You'd save on registration, insurance, depreciation, and repair on the second car.

Old 04-06-11, 01:24 PM
Group Moderator
Outside and undriven over the summer? Ouch!

Old 04-06-11, 04:35 PM
Boy it sure gets confusing but I think what the "tow guy" says makes allot of sense; even though some surface rust might show up on discs, it probably very, very litte and will burn off very quickly once driven. I have talked to many people here and none of them have ever spoken about finding lots of rust develop on a southern car, bring a northern car here and letting it sit (already rusted ) is another story. I have looked under cars in my development and they look just like new under side, many after sitting all summer. I try and let experts provide good information.....I know the past two years I have only disconnected the battery, covered the car, put Damp Rid, one container in the car and one in the trunk and each time never found any mold on anything and car trunk and inside smelled fine.

Old 04-07-11, 04:24 AM
Group Moderator
You hit on a good point, David; even one winter season in the salty slush up north before starting the life of a snowbird car in Florida is a recipe for early demise.

Old 04-07-11, 05:54 AM
I neglected to mention that in my case the car was stored in coastal Florida. Some days, if you're close enough to the beach, your car can be covered with white powder.

At the start of the season, you can sometimes see salt crystals that have grown on glass surfaces inside your abode.

Old 04-07-11, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah, in that case, garaged would be a big plus or maybe a climate-controlled storage place. We're roughly 10 miles from the coast so don't get any spray thankfully.

Old 04-07-11, 03:12 PM
from experience

I have to tell you, first car I brought to Florida was a 97 Lincoln Town car I bought up north, ran great, clean everything worked, have over a 100,000 miles but that is noting for a town car; but, although no body rust, I leaned the hard way you do not bring a northern car south and let it sit. Had the break lines rust throught the rist year, second year the rust on the gas tank went though, and that same year the breaks froze up ,,,,,,alll due to rust that already had started on the car and was acceleratored over the summer when the car sat for six months. "guy told me that the fuel line and gas tank is one thing but if the car had been driven all summer, most likelly the brakes would have been ok, once you let the car sit, that rust becomes petrified......you would not believe what he went through to break the brakes free. After that, I donated the car for more than I paid and bought a southern town car that when looki uner the car it loos like new,,,,big difference and a lesson well learned.

Old 04-08-11, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Suspension parts often suffer, too. I do at least one broken ball joint every season.