Still trying to figure out what vibration could be coming from in 2000 Impala??

Old 04-23-11, 07:38 PM
Still trying to figure out what vibration could be coming from in 2000 Impala??

Well it looks like I am going to have to break down and take a trip to the dealer. But I thought I would run this by you all one more time and try to give a better description of what it is like and see what you say.

Car is 2000 Impala w/ 3.8L Automatic.

Problem: When turning to the right or bearing to the right such as a entance or exit ramp there is a vibration that seems like it is coming form the front end but not sure at this point. To describe the vibration I would say this. You know when you go just out of the lane on the interstate near and the tires hit those grooves that they cut in the shoulder to wake you up? Well that is about what the vibration feels like only on a smaller scale, say maybe 20% as severe. The kicker is this. The vibration only happens if you are accelerating and turning to the right. If you let off the gas there is no vibration. I have a guy that I work with who was mechanic for a long time and his considered a very good mechanic but he is stumped also. He replaced a couple of bushing in the front end and both wheel bearing hub assemblies have been replaced. I am about at the point where I am ready to let a dealer take a shot at figuring out what it is. I have considered that maybe it is a cv joint but there is no noise as usually occurs with bad cv joint. All of the boots are in tact also so they can't be visually checked. That is about all I can tell you. Thanks for any input you my have.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-11, 01:20 AM
A vibration while accelerating in a turn is almost always a front axle cv joint. Sometimes the joint will get tight (no noise) instead of loose and will bind when turning and cause the vibration. Since you have ruled out wheel bearings I would have both front shafts replaced.

Old 04-24-11, 08:13 AM
yep... had this fixed on my Silverado. also known as "death wobble" as it can get iffing real scary, if you have ur wheels slightly turned to a side and hit a bump at frwy speeds. or, exactly like you described.

now that i got your attention..

i replaced hub bearing and idler arm. most likely, you do not have idler and have rack and pinion. but you should still have hub bearings. you are front wheel drive, right? those are very large bearings and they do not tolerate ANY slack in them. it's caused by the entire wheel/hub assembly, as you have a large heavy object (wheel with tire) spinning at high speed. slightest angular play in bearing results in huge vectoral play in the wheel/tire.

have fun. was around 200 bucks 10 min DIY on my truck.

Old 04-24-11, 05:14 PM
I design cars define vectoral play. lol I usually call it stack out. He need to swap his front left and right tire to see if it goes away. now you keyboard racers that doesn't matter.second you need to check preload. bearings are modeled as springs with thrust loads. preloads are critical. make sure the axles nut is torque to spec most shops impact them on which bearings hate. basically you issue is bearing or tire

Old 04-24-11, 09:05 PM
bd502 - I am leaning toward your trying your suggestion first since the hub wheel bearing assemblies have already been changed. would you have an educated guess at wether it would be the right or left side axel shaft that would most likely be the bad one knowing that it happens when turning to right? Or could it just as likely be either one doing it? thanks for the help.

Old 04-26-11, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by kmeyer301 View Post
bd502 - I am leaning toward your trying your suggestion first since the hub wheel bearing assemblies have already been changed. would you have an educated guess at wether it would be the right or left side axel shaft that would most likely be the bad one knowing that it happens when turning to right? Or could it just as likely be either one doing it? thanks for the help.
It's hard to say which side. Jack the car up (both wheels off the ground) or put it up on a lift. Put the transmission in neutral (engine not running) and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side and rotate each tire by hand. You might be able to tell which side is binding. If not I would replace both shafts. If one is bad the other one is probably on its way out too.

As boredatwork above pointed out, make sure the wheel bearing preload is set to factory specs with a torque wrench.

Old 04-26-11, 03:10 PM
A drive axle can go bad. The difficulty can be discovering the problem. You need to be aware of the symptoms that will indicate that the drive axle in going bad.
Noise

A clicking noise when driving, especially when cornering, is typical of a drive axle that needs to be replaced. It can be difficult to hear, especially if you drive with loud music playing. As soon as you’re aware of it you need to check the wheel.
Vibration

Vibration in the wheel when driving is another symptom of a bad drive axle. This is more apparent. Be ware if there’s noise and vibration when cornering it might just indicate a problem in the CV joint, which is a cheaper problem to cure, but which still needs to be dealt with promptly. Where the axle is in very bad condition it will feel as if you’re driving a vehicle with a warped wheel.
Movement

With the vehicle jacked up and supported, and move the drive axle up and down. There should be no excessive movement (that is ˝ inch or more). This can happen especially when the vehicle has a great deal of mileage on the clock, typically more than 100,000 miles.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/3-s...#ixzz1KfaZkymV

Old 04-29-11, 03:51 PM
thanks for all the good info. the car has about 135000 on it.

Old 05-03-11, 01:41 PM
Can you explain why the axel would make this binding in the turn only when accelerating and not if you let off of the gas? thanks

Old 06-06-11, 06:58 AM
update of what fixed problem

Just thought I would post a thanks for info that led to finding problem. Replaced the driver side axle this weekend and that seems to have taken care of the problem. CV joint had rust and very little grease, boot was not broken. Thanks for all the great help.

Search this Thread