Battery polarity

Old 04-25-11, 06:02 PM
Battery polarity

Is it possible to change a vehicle from positive ground to negative ground? Also why are some vehicles set up with positive ground?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-11, 06:33 PM
Yes can flip it but you would have to change all your power and ground in the car. So the polarity is still correct for the solid state devices. No vehicle has the positive on the chassis. It really does not matter if the chassis is ground because the car is floating from earth ground and is low voltage. Some state if the chassis is ground then the vehicle will oxidize/rust slower. kinda like how the positive post need to be cleaned off because of all the oxides that build up on it.

Old 04-25-11, 08:59 PM
Why would you want to do that?

Boredatwork had it partway right. First, if you're talking about a car built since about 1970, the probablility of successful conversion approaches zero rapidly because the computers and sensors and other electronics in the car make the cost of conversion greater than the cost for a new car.

Anyway, the answer to "Is it possible...?" is Probably. But, other than as an academic exercise, there is not any possibiliy of return on the investment of your time and money.

Old 04-26-11, 05:16 PM
Is it possible. Yes. My father does it all the time on his old tractor.
Then it wont charge and I have to come and swap the cables and flash the generator.
What kind of a vehicle is it? We would have a better idea of parts that have to be replaced if we knew.
We keep my dads old tractor a positive ground 6 volt just for historical sake.
Why they did it that way?? I dont know. I dont think it matters just as long as the important components are designed that way.

Old 04-28-11, 06:14 AM
Battery polarity

The vehicle is acually a farm tractor. I couldn't find a forum for it. It has a 6 volt system and a possitive ground. I would like to change it to 12 volts with a negative ground. I'm assuming that i will have to change the coil and points polarity. I was going to use a 12 volt alternator. I always jump start it with a 12 volt battery, so i'm assuming the starter will be ok. Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 04-28-11, 06:44 AM
6 Volt Positive Ground

You may find this web site helpful:

Yesterday's Tractors - Ford early N-Series 12 volt Conversion Kit FAQ

Google "8N Ford Tractor" to get more info.

I grew up with an 8N on a small farm.

Old 04-28-11, 06:52 AM
Back in the 6 volt days they were both ways. GM was negative ground except for GMC trucks. Ford and Chrys. were positive grd. When they went to 12 volts as far as I know they all went to neg ground.Points,condensers,and light bulbs dont care about polarity. Voltage regulators and coils do. A coil will work either way but lose about 30o/o if wired backwards sometime causing a misfire.Delco regulators were stamped on the base for voltage and polarity. A batt can be ran down and charged backwards but I wouldnt reccomend it. A 6 volt coil will not work with 12 volts. And yes a 6 volt starter will do OK on 12 volts. If you have a magneto they will crank so fast that sometimes the impulse cant work.My shop was in an agricultural area so I got plenty of expierence with this stuff.

Old 04-28-11, 07:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I changed my NAA over to 12 volt negative ground about 10 yrs ago. I replaced the coil with a 12 volt coil and the generator with an alternator - all junkyard parts that are still preforming well

I don't remember if I changed any wiring other than switching the battery cables. I did remove the old voltage regulator since the GM alternator had the regulator self contained. The web site Ken provided should help you, there are also more sites with the same type of info.

Old 04-29-11, 09:09 AM
You probably ran the wire thru the ammeter the opposite way also.

Old 04-29-11, 03:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm pretty sure you are right

Old 04-30-11, 06:36 AM
Wouldn't the starter need to be changed as well as it would turn the opposite direction?

Old 04-30-11, 08:07 AM
No, starter will turn the same way.