'91 Honda Accord rotor replacement

Old 04-29-11, 07:45 AM
'91 Honda Accord rotor replacement

I have a '91 Honda I'm trying to replace the rotor on, and I can't get the 4 bolts on the hub assembly to budge, any tips? It seems as though a 9/16 socket will do the job, and I have NOT disconnected the steering knuckle - and I'd like to avoid doing that if at all possible.

I need to get the job done this morning, so any fast answers will help greatly

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-11, 07:17 PM
ahhh... why do you need to remove any bolts to remove rotor? you remove wheel>caliper>caliper bracket>2 phillips head screws that hold rotor to the hub>take rotor off.
oh, it does not WANT to come off? it's a known issue on honda rotors. they rust to the hub. a few good whacks on the rotor, around perimeter, with a mallet, and it should pop off.

Old 04-30-11, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by ukrbyk View Post
ahhh... why do you need to remove any bolts to remove rotor? you remove wheel>caliper>caliper bracket>2 phillips head screws that hold rotor to the hub>take rotor off.
oh, it does not WANT to come off? it's a known issue on honda rotors. they rust to the hub. a few good whacks on the rotor, around perimeter, with a mallet, and it should pop off.
They are captive rotors on a '91 Accord. I had a '93. They come off from the inside. Stupid design.
OP's best chance of "getting it done this morning" would be to take it to a mechanic... they are not easy to replace.

Old 04-30-11, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Yep...according to Autozone, that's what the 90-95s use....and for whatever reason, they say you have to disconnect the knuckle...clearance maybe? That's just insane. No worse than my old '81 I guess...had to take the bolt out of the engine mount and jack the engine to replace the drive belt for the alternator and stuff.

Old 04-30-11, 08:15 PM
what are you talking about? i had 91 Civic, son had 95 Civic, and we had rotors on and off many times.. they went nuts on Accords?

Old 04-30-11, 08:23 PM
If equipped with an air bag, disconnect the negative battery cable and properly disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), as detailed in Chassis Electrical .

Loosen the lug nuts, then Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.

Remove the wheels.

Remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle. Please refer to Suspension & Steering for procedures.

Remove the 4 bolts retaining the hub unit to the steering knuckle and remove the hub unit.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Remove the 4 bolts retaining the hub unit to the steering knuckle and remove the hub unit/rotor assembly

Remove the 4 bolts, then separate the hub unit from the brake rotor.

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528005fbe7.jpg

Fig. Fig. 5: Remove the 4 bolts, then separate the hub unit from the brake rotor

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528005fbe8.jpg

got it. so driveaxle is blocking 4 bolts to get to thew hub, and hub needs to be disconnected from the rotor. speak about over engineering!!

Old 04-30-11, 08:29 PM
i do not think that is his problem, actually.

this is:

I have a '91 Honda I'm trying to replace the rotor on, and I can't get the 4 bolts on the hub assembly to budge, any tips?

Old 04-30-11, 08:42 PM
well, i pulled 91 Accord OEM repair manual on the screen. yeahhhh... it clearly says those 4 bolts that hold hub/brake disc assembly to the steering knuckle are "self locking" type bolts. if it helps any.... that's prolly why he had trouble loosening them.

Old 05-03-11, 06:47 PM
I have 90 Accord and I used air impact wrench to take of these four bolts. However, the hard part is to separate wheel bearing and knuckle in order to take off rotor. wheel bearing is always stuck with knuckle. What I did is use big socket that closes to wheel bearing diameter and attach with socket adapter. Then, uses three jaws clamp on knukle and have center stick into socket adapter. Finally, uses air impact wrench to turn jaws clamp. It works and you just need to make sure your clamp applies even force in the center of socket adapter. I did it with knukle on car. I also saw a video at EricTheCarGuy. They took the entire knukle off car and uses bolt and sledge to beat on screw.